diverter valve for skimmer

Hi All,

Periodically I've seen people mention those "flying saucer" looking diverter valves for the bottom of the skimmer. I have two questions about those please.

1) Where to buy? I look online but never seem to find something that looks like the pics here.

2) Do I understand correctly about these valves? If I have one of these and my skimmer basket gets stopped up (tree leaves, etc.), the diverter will open the main drain, thereby preventing pump damage due to the clogged basket, correct?

I'm asking now as the trees have been at war with me for the past 6 weeks. I'm afraid the basket is going to plug completely up one day while everyone is gone from the house.

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1) Google "skimmer float diverter"

2) That is correct. If the basket gets clogged, or the water level drops below the skimmer, then flow will still be pulled from the floor drain. There is also a flap that you can close or partially close to force some suction to come from the floor all the time.

Of course this all assumes that your floor drain is plumbed to the bottom of the skimmer ;)

Welcome to TFP!

It has been a long time between joining and your first post! :)

I have the same issue, lots of trees dumping tons of stuff in my pool. I could empty my skimmer baskets every 15 minutes. My bottom drain is plumbed to the equipment pad and I have a 3 way valve splitting the drain and the skimmers. I keep my valve set for 80% skimmer and 20% drain for the same reason you are worried about. I have come home plenty of times to skimmers full to the lid and no water flow into the skimmers. Just flow from the drain.

Here is one, Pentair Bermuda Skimmer Float Valve Assembly 506160 | Pentair 506160

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.