Choice between 2 VS Pumps

Aug 28, 2013
Marin County
I haven't switched out my 1hp Max E Glas 2 pump for a new VS yet, but was ready to get the Pentair Intelliflo 10118, but then I just saw the Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump which is a few $$ less. I am going to install Pool Solar heating panels, and want to know what pump will be more economical for me. I will also be running a Pentair legend cleaner that is currently running on a Booster pump. The suction Pipe to Pool Pump is 2" and the return line from the Filter to the Pool 1.5". My Pool is only 13,000 Gallons and 5ft Deep.

Well, the Intellifo is certainly overkill for your pool needs. If that is the latest Superflo VS that allow for external inputs to switch speeds, it should interface with some basic solar controllers to automatically switch speeds. It should also be strong enough to run a decent sized solar array assuming it is not on a 3rd story house or something.

Pool was over 80 degrees a few weeks ago after only being turned on for a week ;)
Although since then the weather has cooled and the temp dropped (since I do not use a cover)

I did a self install with used panels off of craigslist.

I just got a Quote from Solaron for $6,300 but that includes a new Pentair Intelliflo VS with install for 1,450 and the pentair Auto Solar Controller for $450. I can purchase the Superflo VS for $625 new and the same solar controller for $200 new online. That will save me a little over $1,000. I live in Northern California, and the Temps can reach easy 90's in the summer months, so solar should be an inexpensive way to heat the pool. Without it, my pool stays between 72-75 degrees.

After buying all the parts I did not realize I was missing and plumbing everything up with a control, valve, etc. I have about $1500 into my 500 sqft setup. Which is less than 1/3 of what new would have likely cost.

What about the vari green 165? It bolts on to most pumps and is 400 out the door at some places. Pretty sure it has relay control. You could use the Intellitouch 2 speed relay if you only need two speeds. Maybe use AUX relays for more speeds. Just a thought for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.