Sinking Concrete Repair

Jul 17, 2014
Joplin, Mo
I drained my pool this year to try and take care of some maintenance that I have been putting off but I am not sure where to start on this sinking concrete. I know there are companies that will straighten the slabs but that will cost me a fortune as there are probably 15-20 10' sq slabs that will need to be moved and I am afraid it will mess up the french drains anyway.

The concrete has pulled away from the tile by 0.5"-2". Can I fill this with silicone? Should I have a concrete guy come look? Do you guys have another idea?
p9DTu86.jpg
DFDGhb3.jpg

I think what is happening here is your coping and deck is separating from the Bond Beam of your pool. Even while the pool is empty.

Was this true when the pool was full?

Is this on all sides of the pool?

Is this a permanent condition or does the gap change seasonally or vary by some other factor like who is Governor of Mo?

As it is that is too big a gap to span with caulk.

More pictures of the overall pool would be good.

This sinking is there full time and only on one side of the pool. I ended up filling it with some sanded grout and if you had never seen it before you might say "did a blind man grout your pool?". But knowing how bad it looked before I grouted it I would say it is 40% better...

Is the pool sinking or is the coping being raised somehow? Is the coping and deck 1 piece or is the coping separate?

The coping is pushing up. There was an enclosure that sat around it for 30 years pushing weight on the back side of the slabs and lifting the pool side. My thought right now is to just build a deck over it in a year or two when I have the $.

This is an old pic of an issue you guys helped me solve :)
GvuRjpn.jpg

Our pool builder told us once that the coping actually floats compared to the main pool. Not sure what caused yours to float up but may have been the pressure on the outer edge. Not an expert so hopefully there may be a way to let it settle down. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.