Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine

Hi not sure if this is the best place to place this on, but thought I'd let you know that I found liquid chlorine at Walmart for fairly cheap. One gallon with 10% chlorine in it is $2.50. Less then a gallon of Walmart brand bleach with 8.25% chlorine is $2.95. Just thought I'd let you all know. I've always ever used bleach before. Always figured the liquid chlorine was a lot more money, so maybe this is normal?
    Mike
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine

The only thing that might seem to good to be true it the strength of the chlorine. You might look for the Julian date on the bottle to confirm. If you don't see it, then it might be tough to know how old it is or how it was stored (i.e. in the heat). That may be why it was on sale. You'll know once you add it to the water. If your FC doesn't rise as you expected, you know the bleach got weak. Higher % bleaches will do that. But that is a good price.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

FWIW, I've had good luck so far this year with the WalMart 10% chlorinating liquid. I just checked the date code on the last few bottles I bought, it was 16 063, so less than a month old. The FC increase has matched PoolMath when I've tested it.

Liquid Chlorine is pretty hard to find around here, this is the first season I've seen WalMart carry the chlorinating liquid, so I'm pretty happy. When I first started seeing it, I think it was $3.64/gal. At that price, it's effectively the same cost as the 8.25% Great Value bleach, but fewer bottles to deal with. Now that they dropped the price to $2.50/gal, I'm even happier.

Russ
    11,500 gallon 14x28 IG vinyl pool, 3/4 HP FloPro Pump, CS200 cartridge filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump. Testing with Taylor K-2600 test kit and adding liquid chlorine with a Beta DR-2000 peristaltic pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

The stuff has only just hit the shelves. It's not on sale, that's the normal price. What's important is that it's cheaper then bleach and has more percentage of chlorine in it.

5. Back To Top    #5

the real question is, are the bottles to tall too fit in my bleach cabinet by the sliding glass door? The kemteck bottles are short-neck gallons and they fit perfectly. Clorox 10% did not.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

The bottles seem the same size as the Walmart brand of bleach, but not knowing what size of bleach you normally put in your bleach cabinet I can't fully answer your question, sorry
    Mike

7. Back To Top    #7

I was at the Walmart in Brenham, TX yesterday and they have the 10% at $2.50. It was showing as a price rollback. I was able to get them to give it to me in the shipped cartons (three to a box) instead of individual bottles. Good stuff. They didn't know how long it would be at this price.
    35,000 gal. IG Diamond Brite plaster saltwater pool new as of May 2011. Pentair IC 40 SWG, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp heater, Pentair Whisperflo pump. TFP 100 test kit. Well water.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

That is the same price we are getting here in OK at atwoods it says "pool shock" 10% on the label.. it is awesome and about July it goes on sale for 4 gallons at 8 dollars
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

How long will this stuff last before it goes bad? We can get at least a few months out of it, can't we?
    12,000, IG 1992, 4.5' center/3' each end, Pentair FNS-60 DE Filter (2015)
    PebbleSheen installed 2015
    Pentair Superflo VS installed May 2016
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

it all depends on where you store it, heat and sun takes the strength down.. so a seller would be a great place or something like that.
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

Year around you can get 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine from Pinch a Penny in the $9 to $10 range. That is the only thing I buy at Pinch a Penny and it is always fresh. Plus less annoying having to deal with all those empty bleach bottles. But I suppose it could be worth it for some to save that extra $1 or so. For me, Walmart is out of the way and Pinch a Penny is right down the street from my house.
    10k gallon in ground marcite, cartridge filter, 1h Pentair Superflo pump, manually chlorinated.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by russenterprises View Post
    FWIW, I've had good luck so far this year with the WalMart 10% chlorinating liquid. I just checked the date code on the last few bottles I bought, it was 16 063, so less than a month old. The FC increase has matched PoolMath when I've tested it.

Russ
    Thanks for the tip. I'm Just getting my first pool and haven't even looked for liquid chlorine yet, so I have a couple of questions...
    1) where is this located in Walmart, is it in the laundry supply section or maybe a pool supply area?
    2) how do you read that date on the bottle? Is it the 63rd day of 2016? Or maybe something else?
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

13. Back To Top    #13

Definitely check those dates. I just saw a large shelf of this specific product for sale at my local Wal-Mart. But in my case/location, it was "036" day - basically about 5 Feb. So two months old.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Mamiamjo,

I don't know how far this is for you, but Napco on Spring Cypress rd near 2920 has bulk 10+% liquid chlorine at $1.68 / gal. I bought 2 x 7 gal Aqua Tainers off Amazon. You have to have a container with a decent sized opening, but they fill you up right there. I keep 2 single gallon bleach bottles and fill them from the Aqua Tainer and use that to dispense to the pool. Hope that helps.
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.

15. Back To Top    #15

We talk about that stuff here in this thread (2016 bleach prices) too. I also posted a pic of the Wal Mart end cap with all product on it.

Last Julian date I saw was 16060.
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'm Just getting my first pool and haven't even looked for liquid chlorine yet, so I have a couple of questions...
    1) where is this located in Walmart, is it in the laundry supply section or maybe a pool supply area?
    2) how do you read that date on the bottle? Is it the 63rd day of 2016? Or maybe something else?
    At my local WalMart, I first found it in the pool supply section, then when it went on "Rollback" for $2.50 they had a couple of pallets of it right inside the entrance.

Yes, 16 063 would be the 63rd day of 2016. Bleach is typically date coded the same way, I always try to get the latest date.

Russ
    11,500 gallon 14x28 IG vinyl pool, 3/4 HP FloPro Pump, CS200 cartridge filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump. Testing with Taylor K-2600 test kit and adding liquid chlorine with a Beta DR-2000 peristaltic pump.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bdrums View Post
    Mamiamjo,

I don't know how far this is for you, but Napco on Spring Cypress rd near 2920 has bulk 10+% liquid chlorine at $1.68 / gal. I bought 2 x 7 gal Aqua Tainers off Amazon. You have to have a container with a decent sized opening, but they fill you up right there. I keep 2 single gallon bleach bottles and fill them from the Aqua Tainer and use that to dispense to the pool. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for tip, I will look up Napco. That area is only about 15-20 minutes from me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by russenterprises View Post
    At my local WalMart, I first found it in the pool supply section, then when it went on "Rollback" for $2.50 they had a couple of pallets of it right inside the entrance.

Yes, 16 063 would be the 63rd day of 2016. Bleach is typically date coded the same way, I always try to get the latest date.

Russ

Appreciate the help, thanks
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

18. Back To Top    #18

How old is too old? I'd think bleach made within the last 2 months isn't too old if it wasn't sitting in the sun. That being said, you can't know that bleach from 2 weeks ago didn't spend a week sitting in direct, hot sunlight. So throwing that out--is two months really too long?
    Dr. Wellness G-14 Spa
    SIZE: 92" wide x 92" long x 36" deep SEATS: 5 JETS: 98 Total Jets LIGHTS: Surround LED Lighting COMPONENTS: Balboa Spa Systems PUMP: 3 6HP EnergySaver
    WEIGHT: 1025 lbs. GALLONS: 450 Gallon Capacity ELECTRICAL: 220V

19. Back To Top    #19

It's technically never too long to use the bleach, but it's strength decreases over time so you're getting less value for your money. It may also throw off your dosing calculations. I have a couple jugs of bleach purchased at 12.5% last fall. It's a much lower strength by now, but I'll still use it for my spa, my laundry and perhaps in the pool (if I EVER get to open this year!). I'm just not getting great value for it.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

20. Back To Top    #20

Still in stock and end cap here, 2.50, 063 date. Still cheaper than Costco Clorox 8.25%
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast