Odor from drainage channels

Jun 12, 2009
Ithaca, NY
I run two indoor pools at a gym. We have been having strong odors coming from the drainage channels that run between the pool deck and pools. I've been spraying a mix of bleach and water into the drains 2-3 times per week but the odors return withing a day or two. Does anyone have any suggestions for products or cleaning methods to eliminate odors from the deck drains?

Do the odors smell like sewer gas? Typically there is a trap (s-shaped fitting) on the waste line as it goes to the main sewer connection to prevent sewer gases from coming up the pipes. Usually this is only a problem with drains that dry out over time but if that's the odor your smelling, could be a plumbing issue.

How long have you had the odors?

Can you give us some chemical test results on your pools?

What methods do you use to sanitize and oxidize the pools?

What do the odors smell like?

I'm suspecting you have some form of chlorine byproduct that is causing your issue but without more information there not much we can do.

The odors have been more prevalent since we installed a new ventilation system last fall; one theory a lifeguard has is that the drains are drying out more than they used to since the new system keeps the humidity significantly lower. It smells like sewage gas or stagnant water. I highly doubt the pool chemistry is affecting these odors since they are coming from the drains, not the pools. I use calcium hypochlorite to sanitize and here are the latest test results for both pools:
Lap Pool
FC: 2.0
TC: 2.2
pH: 7.5
ALK: 90
Cal. Hardness: 150
Therapy Pool
FC: 2.4
TC: 2.8
pH: 7.5
ALK: 100
Cal. Hardness: 150

That makes sense with adding the new fans - you are probably drying out the p-traps under ground allowing the sewer gas to pass through. I think people have put stuff like olive oil down there. It rides on top of the water and wont dry out, but I am not necessarily suggesting that.

If it is just the P traps drying out due to the climate control changes then you can just fill them with water when the smell returns. We had to that occasionally for floor drains at one of my jobs. I haven't heard the add oil trick to prevent or slow evaporation. Worth a try, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.