Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump humming noise issue. Also, is this a capacitor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump humming noise issue. Also, is this a capacitor?

Hello everyone, so i just opened my pool after two year, everything seem ok except that my pump is not working. It makes humming noise which indicate the capacitor may has gone bad whose idea i got from another topic. So i opened the back cover of the pump and found this, could somebody please verify if this is a capacitor? Also, could you kindly link me to a replacement compatible one ? Thank you alot.

28k gallons. IG. 1hp pump variable speed. Sand filter Hayward S244T. Automatic chlorine feeder.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump humming noise issue. Also, is this a capacitor?

That is indeed a cap. A local electrical supply house should have one in stock. Did you verify that the motor was free to turn? See if the shaft/impeller moves without any resistance. Also, be careful with those caps. They are an energy storage device and it you touch the terminals without first discharging it, you will get whacked pretty good. To discharge one, use a plastic handled screwdriver and short between the two terminals for a couple of seconds.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

there are a couple on amazon

Amazon.com: 25uf capacitor
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

thank for the tip about discharging the capacitor. I tried to look for the shaft/impeller inside the strainer basket but i couldnt feel/see anything. Also, what numbers on the capacitor should i look for to fine one that compatible?

28k gallons. IG. 1hp pump variable speed. Sand filter Hayward S244T. Automatic chlorine feeder.

5. Back To Top    #5

So i bought a new cap at my local store and replaced the old one. But it still making that humming noise and not working at all not sure what i did wrong? I did however discharged both the new and old capacitors before installing. Please advise. Thank you

6. Back To Top    #6

Pump humming noise issue. Also, is this a capacitor?

Well, i went ahead and opened the dry part of the pump to try to turn what i believed is the impeller but it doesnt move not even a little bit. Please advise

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I am not a pump guy but it sounds like it is seized...

I would replace but that is because I have no idea how to fix it, some on here would fix that in a heartbeat both ways will work...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for ur reply. So i removed the impeller and tried to turn the shaft. I tried to turn it at by using a big screw driver after removed the back cover but it doesnt move. At this point, i think i done everything i could, im just better off getting a replacement. Thank you all

9. Back To Top    #9

You have a single speed pump. Why is it listed as variable in your signature?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah, it looks like it is time for at least a new pump motor, you can replace it with a 2 speed if you have 240V going to the pad. You would just need to add a switch to change speeds. If you want to go to a variable speed pump it is probably best to change out the whole thing, although they do make variable speed motors you could drop in.

Ike

p.s. if you do decide to replace the motor, you may want to look at Pool Plaza to see what fits what, they may not have the best prices, but do have a helpful web page. Best motor prices I have found tends to be on ebay, but you have to generally know the exact model number motor you are looking for to buy there. I think the Hayward Superpump uses a frame 56J, but don't hold me to that.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Just a reminder. Most of the time if you take a Hammer when you turn on the pump.If it doesn't turn and just humm's .Just take the hammer and tap on motor housing. Alot of the times it will break it loose and will start running.Also,I have found if you will spray WD-40 up into the shaft housing works wonders too.Just my 2 cents that have worked for me over the years.

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Whatever you do to repair or buy a new motor you should also change the seals in the pump. They're available pool stores online and your local Pool Pool Store. The pump seal you have almost certainly was the cause of your motor failure.

I hope this helps,

Chris

-Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control