From Bleach to Salt - Am I doing this right?

Jun 25, 2013
Hey everyone,

After 4 summers of struggling big time with our pool, we saved all winter to have a salt water system installed and yesterday was the big day. We've heard this is THE way to go. We didn't really close properly (I know, mistake) and just covered our pool back in November, so when the guys installing the salt system (Breeze 540) pulled the cover off, it was a bit of a green lagoon. It's DEFINITELY been worse, but still is going to take some time to get clear. He dumped 20 40# bags in the pool and some shock and told me to keep the pump running, backwash everyday, and vacuum the leaves out of the bottom that I could (there were a few that I didn't get before we covered, but not a ton). It's definitely cleared up some but now I'm feeling anxious to get the levels right and continue the progress, but I'm feeling like going from my bleach method to this new salt system is like learning all over again. He made it sound like it would basically clear up on it's own but of course I'm skeptical.

I tested chlorine this morning and got .5 FC. Do I need to SLAM? Do I need to go ahead and get all the other levels as well and report back here? He said salt is great in that it doesn't go away except by dilution. But, if the salt is being converted into chlorine, wouldn't it be eaten by the sun like when I chlorinated with bleach? I guess I need to go back and read Pool School.

Would love some input since I'm feeling like a rookie all over again. Thanks!

Salt is definitely the way to go imo. Congrats! The sun oxidizes the chlorine and it recombines with the sodium back to salt. It is a continuous loop cycle. Salt to chlorine back to salt, repeat. You need to SLAM to kill the algae then get your SWG up and running. Use bleach for the SLAM as normal. And it is fine to add bleach anytime to the pool even after the SWG is operational. I often add a gallon here and there to bump up FC levels for swim parties or as needed.

Water balance is essentially the same, there are only slight changes in the target levels. Here is the world's greatest one sheet on saltwater pool chemistry. Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

No issues :) SLAM just like normal Turn you SWG off until your numbers are good (just like last year) once your numbers are good and you pass all 3 SLAM tests you can raise your CYA to 70/80, check your salt level and if good turn your SWG on and adjust pump on time and SWG on time till you get to your recommends FC level..

Remember, your pool is still a chlorine pool, just a different way of getting the chlorine.

Too easy :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.