New Pool Deck - Now the Skimmers are Too Low

Mar 31, 2016
San Antonio , TX
First post my friends. Great website. I added a new travertine tile pool deck and coping on top of my ugly old pebble deck. Looks awesome. However, the level of the coping went up 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". Then had to raise the pool tile and re-plaster. The travertine itself is not all that thick, but the with the thickness of the cement material used to put it down plus allowing from the correct sloping for drainage all contributed to everything being raised at the end of the day. Also had to raise the overflow drain to raise the water level on the tile.

My issue is that we could not raise the skimmers according to the pool construction company as they are cemented in the gunite and have rebar over the top of them between the basket and pool edge. Well I suppose I could have them raised, but it sounds like a major messy project of hammering them out of the concrete, cutting rebar, raising the plumbing, concreting them back in, etc. and more dinero. So, consequently, the throat opening between the water level and top of the skimmers is reduced. Also, the skimmer basket is now too deep in the skimmer below the water level so the trash does not get pulled down into the basket, just floats on top. The easy solution is to keep the water level lower, but to do any good, I'll have to keep it just above the bottom of the 6" pool tile. Was wondering if I could put some small blocks or something about an 1" to 1-1/2" at the bottom of the skimmers for the skimmer baskets to sit on to raise them?

Also worried about what will happen in the fall when the leaves drop. I'm afraid that they will just pile up in front of the skimmers and not move into the baskets. If anyone has any suggestions, would love to hear them.

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think the best solution would have been to not raise the time and just have a thicker coping (or an extra row of tile at the top) and just left the water level where it was. It is not easy to raise the skimmer. But, that is all in the past.

You can not raise the basket, because then the debris could go around it and into the pump.

Can you divert more suction to the skimmer?

I still think you may need to just keep the water a little lower.

I have never used one but based on your description a skimm doctor might work
hqdefault.jpg

Skimmers usually have a collar raising the total height (to the level of the decking) anyway. I believe you can get longer ones or extension collars that will come up to the top of your new decking:

This might not help your skimming issue (you could lower the water level some when the leaves start falling) but should allow you to have a structurally stronger skimmer location in your new decking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.