Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Deck - Now the Skimmers are Too Low

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Deck - Now the Skimmers are Too Low

First post my friends. Great website. I added a new travertine tile pool deck and coping on top of my ugly old pebble deck. Looks awesome. However, the level of the coping went up 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". Then had to raise the pool tile and re-plaster. The travertine itself is not all that thick, but the with the thickness of the cement material used to put it down plus allowing from the correct sloping for drainage all contributed to everything being raised at the end of the day. Also had to raise the overflow drain to raise the water level on the tile.

My issue is that we could not raise the skimmers according to the pool construction company as they are cemented in the gunite and have rebar over the top of them between the basket and pool edge. Well I suppose I could have them raised, but it sounds like a major messy project of hammering them out of the concrete, cutting rebar, raising the plumbing, concreting them back in, etc. and more dinero. So, consequently, the throat opening between the water level and top of the skimmers is reduced. Also, the skimmer basket is now too deep in the skimmer below the water level so the trash does not get pulled down into the basket, just floats on top. The easy solution is to keep the water level lower, but to do any good, I'll have to keep it just above the bottom of the 6" pool tile. Was wondering if I could put some small blocks or something about an 1" to 1-1/2" at the bottom of the skimmers for the skimmer baskets to sit on to raise them?

Also worried about what will happen in the fall when the leaves drop. I'm afraid that they will just pile up in front of the skimmers and not move into the baskets. If anyone has any suggestions, would love to hear them.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Deck - Now the Skimmers are Too Low

Welcome to TFP!!!

I think the best solution would have been to not raise the time and just have a thicker coping (or an extra row of tile at the top) and just left the water level where it was. It is not easy to raise the skimmer. But, that is all in the past.

You can not raise the basket, because then the debris could go around it and into the pump.

Can you divert more suction to the skimmer?

I still think you may need to just keep the water a little lower.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

That is a conundrum that I've never seen before. I do agree that to raise the skimmers would have been a huge amount of work.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I have never used one but based on your description a skimm doctor might work
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe that Skim Doctor just might be the ticket. Checked out their website. Pretty ingenious gadget. Thanks Atttech -2 for the tip!

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice work atttech-2!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I have been using the skim doctor for 2 years now and I love it. I see there is a .2 version now which make it easier to empty.

1975, 18000 GL, Plaster never been re-plastered, 2 year Old Hayward Sand Filter, Very Old Pump made out of cast Iron, and Single Speed 1 HP motor. Mesa AZ

8. Back To Top    #8

And TFP is in for the win again! NICE job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit