Looking to build my own water feature and would appreciate comments / suggestions

Mar 29, 2016
Chesapeake VA
The in-ground pool has plumbing for a water feature but the former owner took it with them...

I was thinking of using PaveStone Rumble Stone to build a structure (maybe 36 in w by 18 in deep by 24 in high) and then building a scupper out of acrylic to sit inside and create a sheet water fall coming out at about 18 in high. The wide of the water fall would be about 22 in.

We have a PaveStone Rumble Stone fit pit on the deck so the 2 structures would hopefully compliment each other.

I was looking on line at waterfall mainfolds and they look like plastic or metal box with a protruding thin lip opening. I thought I could cut and cement the pieces from a sheet of acrylic to make the box then use PVC pipe to connect to the existing plumbing.

Right now it doesn't cost anything to dream but have to ask if you think I am being too adventurous or if you know of a better way.

Many Thanks, Dave

I think what you are proposing seems realistic. It does not sound like it would even be cemented down and would be modular to allow you to change it up if desired.

Use a water tight bulkhead PVC fitting to your box and you could take everything apart.

I think what you are proposing seems realistic. It does not sound like it would even be cemented down and would be modular to allow you to change it up if desired.

Use a water tight bulkhead PVC fitting to your box and you could take everything apart.

Hi Jason, thanks for your comments. I plan on buying the bricks from Home Depot and trying a number of builds (like Lego!) until I find the best configuration and then returning what I don't use.

Once I decide on a structure I may use exterior adhesive on a few select brick to get it strength but still allow it to be moved if necessary. My wife now wants a planter on top so I have her buy in
icon7.png

The hardest part will be the acrylic manifold as the cuts have to be very clean to ensure a water tight seal etc.

Instead of acrylic, using a sheet of copper could look pretty nice. Fold up the sides and solder the corners.

Post pictures of your project as it could be pretty interesting :goodjob:

OK, here is an update. I have determined the dims of the project to be 28 in long (side of pool) x 24.5 in deep (away from pool) x 20.5 in high. The price depending on the final size and configuration of the bricks used will be under $140.00. I have been searching the web for affordable waterfalls boxes and weirs - lots for ponds that simply cascade water out but I want a sold curtain that will project out and into the pool from 18 in high> They exist but easily $150+ for 12 in wide so I will create one using PVC piping and joints cutting the "blade" for the water to come out with my Dremel tool. I am looking for 18 in curtain waterfall. I expect the cost of the PVC & glue to be under $15. I will use the main value to control the water flow but may put on at the the feature as well for good measure. Will start on the PVC water feature this weekend and will post pics along the way

Hi, here is an update. Concept and pricing phases are done, the bricks and adhesive will cost $160 while the PVC waterfall will cost $20 - a good deal less than the $650 scuppers I have found. Here is the front view View attachment 47245 back will be the same less the 18in water fall opening. Here is the side view View attachment 47246 I will use grey PVC to have it blend in with the bricks. I plan to purchase the bricks this weekend and will provide pics. IMG_20160420_200031.jpg here is the existing plumbing I am working with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi folks, I completed the build yesterday. I am pleased with the results, more importantly so is my wife! My only issue is the way the water flows out of the PVC pipe. I wanted a crisp sheet of water, I am no Hydrologist but I expect I did not achieve this as I have the water being fed from both sides and maybe I made the slit too wide? I used my Dremel and it was an east cut. BTW I cleaned up the cut prior to gluing and painting.The pavers are not fixed so I can get to the PVC to remove and put in a different configuration. All told the pavers ran $160 and the PVC pipe another $15. Sorry for the awkward images, wanted to show as much as possible but not be limited to the upload size. Will upload the final working views next.WF1.jpg Will

Update:

1) OK so I am not content with the way the water meets in the middle of the flow and creates a confluence. My fault in having the water come from both sides to the sleet... so I am going to buy a sheet of copper to make a lip , ease off the flow, add some material to baffle the water in the pipe prior to pouring into the pool. I will post pics.

2) My neighbor has requested I assist him in designing and building a similar water feature -“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.” - Oscar Wilde :D

IMG_20160605_132541.jpg Thanks to Jblizzle's suggestion and all the other encouraging comments here is the result. The last "tweak" will eventually be to move the flow pipe back about 2 inches into the structure so it is less visible and lift the angle of the cooper downspout. My wife gave the the best compliment when she say "oh my gosh that looks professional'" :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.