Preparing for summer

Mar 31, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
We bought a house two years ago which came equipped with a pebble tech 8,000 gallon salt water pool with a cartridge filter. This is the first pool I have owned and I have no idea what all needs to be done and when so I hired a service company to take care of it. Since then we have gone through a few pool attendants with the last one adding salt to my salt water pool a big no-no. I had a pool company test my pool water and they said my salt levels were way to high (9,000ppm) so I had to drain the pool and start over. Which brought me to this site.

I want to learn how to take care of my own pool as then I will be reasonably assured it is done right.

Bru, welcome to TFP! Best thing you could do for yourself at this point ... order a TF-100 test kit with speed stir. Mix like a pro with all the "accurate" results at home. Do NOT place your faith in others to test your water, not even the pool store. Most often they are off-target with their results and simply want to sell you expensive products. With your own tests, you can do it all. Great to have you with us.

Welcome!! :wave:

Firing the pool service was a wise decision. No one will care as much about your pool as you will.

A test kit is imperative. And not a cheap one from the pool store. I wouldn't even waste my time looking for a FAS-DPD test kit at a store. They're very scarce, and a pool store salesman will probably convince you the DPD test kit is the same thing, which it isn't.

If you don't have 'em yourself, you'll need a pole, a brush, a net, and a vacuum and a hose. Unless there's an automatic cleaner of some sort which you failed to list.

That equipment and Pool School and us will lead you to a sparkling pool all season long and much cheaper and easier than you imagined. Within a month during the swim season, I expect you'll be able to guess precisely what the pH, TA, and FC will read and how much acid it will take to adjust things so that testing is just a confirmation.

Welcome to TFP! Pool School has a wealth of information and how to's if n when you need to implement them. Ask questions when you can't find answers! We're always open!