Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for summer

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

Post Preparing for summer

We bought a house two years ago which came equipped with a pebble tech 8,000 gallon salt water pool with a cartridge filter. This is the first pool I have owned and I have no idea what all needs to be done and when so I hired a service company to take care of it. Since then we have gone through a few pool attendants with the last one adding salt to my salt water pool a big no-no. I had a pool company test my pool water and they said my salt levels were way to high (9,000ppm) so I had to drain the pool and start over. Which brought me to this site.

I want to learn how to take care of my own pool as then I will be reasonably assured it is done right.
    Phoenix Arizona
    just another desert rat trying to cool off...
    My Pool - A salt water pebble tech. 8,000 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Preparing for summer

Welcome to TFP!!!

First, step ... Find TFP ... Done
    Second, step ... invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and start learning
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Bru, welcome to TFP! Best thing you could do for yourself at this point ... order a TF-100 test kit with speed stir. Mix like a pro with all the "accurate" results at home. Do NOT place your faith in others to test your water, not even the pool store. Most often they are off-target with their results and simply want to sell you expensive products. With your own tests, you can do it all. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Firing the pool service was a wise decision. No one will care as much about your pool as you will.

A test kit is imperative. And not a cheap one from the pool store. I wouldn't even waste my time looking for a FAS-DPD test kit at a store. They're very scarce, and a pool store salesman will probably convince you the DPD test kit is the same thing, which it isn't.

If you don't have 'em yourself, you'll need a pole, a brush, a net, and a vacuum and a hose. Unless there's an automatic cleaner of some sort which you failed to list.

That equipment and Pool School and us will lead you to a sparkling pool all season long and much cheaper and easier than you imagined. Within a month during the swim season, I expect you'll be able to guess precisely what the pH, TA, and FC will read and how much acid it will take to adjust things so that testing is just a confirmation.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW PA

Welcome to TFP! Pool School has a wealth of information and how to's if n when you need to implement them. Ask questions when you can't find answers! We're always open!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter