Excavator comes tomorrow! Last minute advice?

Jan 23, 2016
Valley Glen, CA
Hey everyone! We finally have our permit and the digging starts tomorrow at 7:30am. We're doing a 100' perimeter free-form with 7' diameter spa. Big Baja shelf with umbrella sleeve (still debating on depth, 6-9"?), pool depth ranges from 3.5'-6'. All Pentair equipment except the remote which is Jandy. Mini pebble for the surface, though I'm actually not a huge fan of it. Thinking about good old plaster. Any other suggestions?. I also splurged on gas tiki torches. We're really excited. Last minute advice? We're in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. Thanks!

Pictures...and yes everyone takes pictures, but try to pick a location with a overall view maybe a second story window or something. Then take a picture daily or weekly from the same place looking the same direction to create a time lapse of the build. As long as you take enough pictures it creates a flip book of the build and can be really neat conversation piece. Enjoy the ride!

LED color lights -- at least two -- on the side wall so they face away from the main seating area. Pentair equipment with Jandy controls? Makes little sense why?

Most pebble finishes are worth the extra money because they last longer than plain old plaster. What brand of mini pebble?

Can we see an drawing or rendering?

Hey! So today went swimmingly! (sorry.) I made a time lapse video and posted it on youtube. Time Lapse Pool Build Day One - YouTube
Here are the renderings which were tweaked a bit. Rocks will not be where they are, but otherwise it's close. Our pool builder has been fantastic thus far. Should be completely dug by tomorrow with rebar going in sunday (sorry neighbors, but that's what you get for having saturday morning gardeners every week.) I guess we will do the mini-pebble. Company is Stonescapes. I want a really pretty blue, not gray or green in anyway. So no Tahoe for me. Debating between Tropics blue and Aqua white with a lean toward Tropics. To answer the Jandy remote question, I asked and he said as much as he loves all of Pentair's products, he loves the Jandy interface much better than the Pentair app and that it's way more user friendly. The pool is small btw, so we'll stick to one light I think. Also running out of budget. :)
IMG_5935.jpgIMG_5934.jpgIMG_5936.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like you know what you are doing. But for the new pool owners -
Soon after they dig a big hole in your yard, things can become ...stressful. Take a deep breath and try to enjoy the journey. Building a pool is even more rare and special than buying a new car.
The subs can and will make mistakes, because it is you talking to the PB, who is talking to the subs. There are lots of opportunities to get things wrong. Try to stay on top of it. In the end, chances are you will be happy, and you will appreciate all the people that have been working in your yard (for too long).

Mark is spot on with above ^^^^^^^^^

When they get done digging go out with a measuring tape......add about 6 inches for gunite and plaster. Is it long, deep, wide enough? NOW is the time to fix or change.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.