Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excavator comes tomorrow! Last minute advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

Excavator comes tomorrow! Last minute advice?

Hey everyone! We finally have our permit and the digging starts tomorrow at 7:30am. We're doing a 100' perimeter free-form with 7' diameter spa. Big Baja shelf with umbrella sleeve (still debating on depth, 6-9"?), pool depth ranges from 3.5'-6'. All Pentair equipment except the remote which is Jandy. Mini pebble for the surface, though I'm actually not a huge fan of it. Thinking about good old plaster. Any other suggestions?. I also splurged on gas tiki torches. We're really excited. Last minute advice? We're in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Excavator comes tomorrow! Last minute advice?

The only thing I see missing is a big ice chest. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as they've got it all dug up, don't neglect to put some water and electric out there. You might want to run some things or hose off the deck.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Pictures...and yes everyone takes pictures, but try to pick a location with a overall view maybe a second story window or something. Then take a picture daily or weekly from the same place looking the same direction to create a time lapse of the build. As long as you take enough pictures it creates a flip book of the build and can be really neat conversation piece. Enjoy the ride!
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

LED color lights -- at least two -- on the side wall so they face away from the main seating area. Pentair equipment with Jandy controls? Makes little sense why?

Most pebble finishes are worth the extra money because they last longer than plain old plaster. What brand of mini pebble?

Can we see an drawing or rendering?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Make sure to measure and adding about 6" for gunite to make sure it is wide, deep, long, etc enough.

OH and take LOTS of pictures! LOL

kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep us updated n good luck!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

If you have a sprinkler system turn off the main. Been there
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey! So today went swimmingly! (sorry.) I made a time lapse video and posted it on youtube. Time Lapse Pool Build Day One - YouTube
    Here are the renderings which were tweaked a bit. Rocks will not be where they are, but otherwise it's close. Our pool builder has been fantastic thus far. Should be completely dug by tomorrow with rebar going in sunday (sorry neighbors, but that's what you get for having saturday morning gardeners every week.) I guess we will do the mini-pebble. Company is Stonescapes. I want a really pretty blue, not gray or green in anyway. So no Tahoe for me. Debating between Tropics blue and Aqua white with a lean toward Tropics. To answer the Jandy remote question, I asked and he said as much as he loves all of Pentair's products, he loves the Jandy interface much better than the Pentair app and that it's way more user friendly. The pool is small btw, so we'll stick to one light I think. Also running out of budget.
    IMG_5935.jpgIMG_5934.jpgIMG_5936.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks good. Nice updates. Enjoy your weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

Snitch the youtube file name and you can post videos here. Love to watch these, so keep us updated.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Nice! Thanks! Very new to these forum sites.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sounds like you know what you are doing. But for the new pool owners -
    Soon after they dig a big hole in your yard, things can become ...stressful. Take a deep breath and try to enjoy the journey. Building a pool is even more rare and special than buying a new car.
    The subs can and will make mistakes, because it is you talking to the PB, who is talking to the subs. There are lots of opportunities to get things wrong. Try to stay on top of it. In the end, chances are you will be happy, and you will appreciate all the people that have been working in your yard (for too long).
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

14. Back To Top    #14

Mark is spot on with above ^^^^^^^^^

When they get done digging go out with a measuring tape......add about 6 inches for gunite and plaster. Is it long, deep, wide enough? NOW is the time to fix or change.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Here's day 2 if anyone's interested! Still going great. So far so good with depths and the size.
    Time Lapse Swimming Pool Build Day 2 - YouTube

I tried to embed it, but it didn't seem to work? Help?

16. Back To Top    #16

I love it! They seem to be doing great work!

Kim (no help from me for the embeding)

17. Back To Top    #17

Looks good!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by adillon View Post
    Here's day 2 if anyone's interested! Still going great. So far so good with depths and the size.
    Time Lapse Swimming Pool Build Day 2 - YouTube

I tried to embed it, but it didn't seem to work? Help?

It's like html code but with square brackets instead of <>
    <youtube]5VLMcyjsyeo[/youtube>

19. Back To Top    #19

Day three! It's ready for rebar! We also decided to take out the patio now instead of later.

I got it to work! Sweet! Thanks guys...

20. Back To Top    #20

Looks good, replace the <> with [] in your youtube tag [ youtube]oYxhCVbMyLA[/youtube ] -- take out the spaces now on my tag and you will have it working.
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast