Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thousands of tiny Knat type bugs in pool - suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Thousands of tiny Knat type bugs in pool - suggestions?

Today I found tiny black bugs clinging to pool side at water level. Stir them up and they go right back. They seem to be alive. They are on direct sun side from skimmer corner and around to spa.

Had a few dead worms on bottom.

Test show water readings in range. Water temp is 76.

I have never seen them before here or at previous pool.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of them? What may have caused them?

mowed the lawn yesterday. Air temp is 83, central Florida location.

thanks
    12K gallons, plaster, irregular, built-in raised spill-over spa, STA-RITE PLD70 DE filter, 3" tab auto feeder, Fiber Star 6004 lighting system, 1HP EB1100DP pump, ??? Model non-functioning STA-RITE Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thousands of tiny Knat type bugs in pool - suggestions?

Love Bugs? Is it the season for them? I don't know that there is anything you can do for the period they're here except co-exist. They won't drink much.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

We get a lot of gnats this time of year in our area. All over the place. Later flying ants. Make sure you have a good skimmer sock in the skimmer to catch them.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I did forget that Lake Monroe in Sanford Fl has an annual period of knats that bite called no-see-ums. My new home is in Sanford Fl. What is a skimmer sock? By the very nature of the title, I'd figure it to be some type of fabric cover for the skimmer basket?

- - - Updated - - -

Not love bug season yet. Coming soon though. Lake Jessup bridge is the worst in Seminole County FL for them in my opinion. I always had to wash the car after crossing that bridge in love bug season.
    12K gallons, plaster, irregular, built-in raised spill-over spa, STA-RITE PLD70 DE filter, 3" tab auto feeder, Fiber Star 6004 lighting system, 1HP EB1100DP pump, ??? Model non-functioning STA-RITE Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Exactly. Some people will stretch an old nylon over the skimmer basket. I use a 1 Gal paint strainer net from Home Depot's paint section. But anything along those lines will work to help catch those little buggers.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Man I hate the flying ants every year!
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Back To Top    #8

If I may, you're going to want a box of these. Nothing better (or cheaper):
    Link: 3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene, Universal, White (Case of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just bought the 100 in a bag for $6.20. Box of 100 was $11.17.

JohnnyK - You live pretty close. You can have 50 for $3.10.
    Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.

10. Back To Top    #10

The hair nets came today. Hubby put one on his leaf skimmer and skimmed off a ton of little particles floating on the top of the water that drive him crazy (and drive me crazy listening to him complain! We will also try a hair net in the skimmer basket when the current pool sock is kaput.

Great recommendation!
    Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.

11. Back To Top    #11

Little bugs are finally all gone.