Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1.5 HP or 2 HP pool pump? 27000 gal pool

1. Back To Top    #1

1.5 HP or 2 HP pool pump? 27000 gal pool

Need to change this cheap pump made in China which brought pressure in filter from 10 to 5 . Not a lot coming out of jets.
    The pipes are 2" wide reduced to 1.5" for fitting on pump. The 1.5 HP original Hayward pump used to run for 8h to 10h in summer. Would a 2 HP pump make a difference ? What about these 2 speed pumps?
    Thanks
    JFT

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 1.5 HP or 2 HP pool pump? 27000 gal pool

Look at a variable speed pump. (Much) More upfront cost, but trust me, it will pay for itself in energy savings...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you still have the original pump? What was wrong with it? You might be able to just put a new two-speed motor on it and use it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A few questions, about what will be expected of this pump. Do you have just a simple pool? What kind of filter? Do you have an attached spa, any water features, infloor cleaning, solar heating? How do you clean the pool, robot, suction side or pressure side cleaner, booster pump? As you can see, which pump is best is not a simple question.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with jblizzle that most pumps can be repaired and/or upgraded at a considerable cost savings over a new pump.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    A few questions, about what will be expected of this pump. Do you have just a simple pool? What kind of filter? Do you have an attached spa, any water features, infloor cleaning, solar heating? How do you clean the pool, robot, suction side or pressure side cleaner, booster pump? As you can see, which pump is best is not a simple question.
    -It's a simple pool with a 60sq ft DE filter, (to be replaced by a sand filter), Polaris 280 using its own booster pump.
    -I contacted two local guys working on pumps who told me it was not worth fixing it ( motor/labor)

7. Back To Top    #7

What Jason is referring to is not repairing the motor, but only replacing the dry end part of the pump (the motor), keeping the wet end (pump basket side). Your cheapest option while giving you flexibility and efficiency would be a 2-speed replacement motor. A variable speed is nice, but unless you have high electrical rates, the pay off time on the investment is longer.

EDIT:

1.5 HP is plenty for your pool imo.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Post a picture of your old pump and maybe we can make that judgement.

Need to change this cheap pump made in China which brought pressure in filter from 10 to 5 . Not a lot coming out of jets.
    That is actually a good thing. Lower pressure means lower flow rates, better filtering and lower energy costs. This is how a VS or two speed pump saves you money.

Besides lower pressure and lower flow rate, is the pump not doing something specifically?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I think we should at least see this

Quote Originally Posted by jeanft View Post
    cheap pump made in China
    Before suggesting that it be repaired. Can you post a pic of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Lower pressure means lower flow rates, better filtering and lower energy costs.
    I wouldn't count on any energy savings with a product from china, but you never know...

I agree though, we need to see this thing to give responsible advice.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for the answers. This pump is working fine, very quiet and electricity bill doesn't seem as high compared to the Hayward pump. Should the pump run longer every day since less pressure?
    The old Hayward pump is gone ((

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    I think we should at least see this

Before suggesting that it be repaired. Can you post a pic of it?

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't count on any energy savings with a product from china, but you never know...

I agree though, we need to see this thing to give responsible advice.
    Amazon.com : 1.5 HP In-Ground Pool Pump With Strainer Basket Dual Voltage 110V/220V : Patio, Lawn Garden

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    You would be hard pressed to find motors and electronics that aren't manufactured in China these days. But that has little to do with efficiency anyway. AC induction motors are only about 65-75% efficient and motors from China are no different. If the efficiency was much worse than that, the motor would run very hot and likely burn up and I don't think that is the case. But the main reason for my comment is that because the pressure is lower, the flow rate is lower and it is the flow rate that primarily dictates the energy use of a centrifugal pump.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanft
    Should the pump run longer every day since less pressure?
    Probably not. Like I said before, lower flow rates generally result in better filtering and as long as the pool stays as clean as you want it to, then there is no reason for longer run times.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    But the main reason for my comment is that because the pressure is lower, the flow rate is lower and it is the flow rate that primarily dictates the energy use of a centrifugal pump.
    I get ya, and i agree.

What i meant was, im guessing that pump and motor was purchased for it's price, not it's energy efficiency. I would't be surprised to see that it was tweaked to use less energy but in doing so sabotaged the motors longevity.

AND...

It being Chinese, you may not be able to just go out and get a motor that will bolt up to the pump.

Pictures may tell...

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jeanft View Post
    Thank you for the answers. This pump is working fine, very quiet and electricity bill doesn't seem as high compared to the Hayward pump.
    OH... I though that when you said you need to change the pump, that it was because it had failed. If it works, run it! deal with it when it quits. IMO, the only upgrade you should do is to a VS pump, but only when you need to.

Let that dog sleep for now...

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    What Jason is referring to is not repairing the motor, but only replacing the dry end part of the pump (the motor), keeping the wet end (pump basket side).
    This would also include replacing the impeller, diffuser and wear ring, correct?
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

16. Back To Top    #16

No. Just the motor and shaft seal. Unless other parts are damaged.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Got it. Now to find someone compentent to convert my 2.0 HP pump to a dual speed...or would I save more in the long run buying a new 1.5 hp dual speed?
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

18. Back To Top    #18

You have to look at the HP times the SF (service factor) of your existing motor and replace at least as big. If you go smaller, then you need a smaller impeller also.
    Jason, TFP Moderator