Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time slamming new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

First time slamming new pool

So new pool (not new pool owner) I just started slamming our pool that was completed back in August. I had started another thread some time ago about our rising PH and was able to get it into check by getting our TA down to 70. After getting the water balanced our CC jumped up to 1.5 and it was time to slam.

Two days ago I tested our pool
    FC 1
    CC 1.5
    CYA 40
    PH 7.4
    TA 70

I added enough bleach to get the FC up to 16 and have been holding it between 16-18 since then, needing to add a good amount of bleach the first few hours to keep the numbers in check. Bleach consumption has slowed down and the water is crystal clear. Pool has been vacuumed and brushed throughout the process.

However I am getting a strong ammonia smell from where the spa spills over into the pool. Assuming this is gas off of CC, but not sure since I have never experienced this before. My plan was if FC levels continued to hold I would shut the pump down at sunset tonight and do an overnight test.

Any thoughts regarding this smell and if I should be doing something different with my slam procedure because of it?
    15K Gallon, IG Pebble Sheen pool with SPA (8/15/2015). Wrap around stone waterfall, spill over spa and bubbler on tanning shelf. Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair Whisper Flo for filter circulation and Pentair Intelliflo for water features. Pressure side pentair sweeper, Pentair heater and Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (just use to keep CYA in check), Haas Liquidator and all powered by a Pentair Intellitouch system. K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time slamming new pool

I suspect you are correct about the smell. At the same time though, the test results you posted are a couple days old. How is the FC and CC numbers today? If the CC is under .5, and your FC is holding, sure - do an OCLT this evening. But leave the pump running. You still want that circulation to continue until you know for sure the SLAM has passed all 3 SLAM criteria. Be patient. If you've only been SLAMming for 2 days, your pool may need a couple more. 2-3 days is an exceptionally fast SLAM. Hang in there and maintain. Sounds like you are doing fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

looks like your doing good agree with Pat, post up some new numbers and let it roll a couple days and see what happens
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been checking the FC every few hours since starting and have kept it in the 16-18 range.

The current reading this AM shows FC of 18 and CC of .5
    15K Gallon, IG Pebble Sheen pool with SPA (8/15/2015). Wrap around stone waterfall, spill over spa and bubbler on tanning shelf. Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair Whisper Flo for filter circulation and Pentair Intelliflo for water features. Pressure side pentair sweeper, Pentair heater and Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (just use to keep CYA in check), Haas Liquidator and all powered by a Pentair Intellitouch system. K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Should leave the pump on 24/7 when performing the SLAM procedure, including during the OCLT. What was your FC reading last night?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

I checked FC at 9:00 last night and it was 19. Last does of CL was at 5:00pm yesterday when it dropped to 14.

I will say before I started the SLAM my water was clear, but there obviously was some nasty stuff living in it from my test readings.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have definitely had algae and clear water before. Be sure to brush regularly. Daily-ish during the SLAM and weekly-ish otherwise.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach