Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation help please!

My husband and I stated taking over my family's pools in several apartment complexes. 5 of the 6 are beautiful! The 6th is the problem. The pool had bad metal stains, so we did an AA treatment. We added poly 60 and metal sequesters (metal free, Proteam metal magic and HASA - at different times) Things were looking pretty good, and we started to bring the chlorine level up. We could not get the chlorine to stick and after the Easter weekend, the pool was a little green. We vacuumed to waste and tried to back wash the filter. We sat in horror as the jets delivered a steady steam of maroon colored stuff back into the pool. (We have since ordered a spider gasket to fix that). Anyway, now the pool is green and everything (filter baskets etc) is stained an orange rust color. I am bringing the chlorine up to shock levels, but am concerned that we put back all the metals that we tried to pull out. Someone please advise!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help please!

I would also like to note that I added a little chlorine at a time for about 2 weeks after the treatment.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a set of test results?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your reply!
    I don't have them written down, but from what I remember

Ph 7.4
    TA 80
    CYA about 25
    CH 700 (people who kept it up before used cal hypo tables

fc was 20 when I left because I'm trying to shock.

5. Back To Top    #5

When you added chlorine what kind are you using-liquid or bags or tablets? Where were you adding it-skimmer, throwing into pool, etc?

How are you testing?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I actually used both. Mostly liquid poured around the pool. I did add some quick dissolve shock broadcast over the pool.

Testing with a Taylor kit. I did also put a few tabs in the skimmer as advised here.
    I really think I have algae, but the orange stuff is rust/iron. Everything was looking pretty good until the backwashing which allowed a ton in red looking stuff in the pool. The pool immediately turned bright green and has been that one since.

My my thought process as of now is to finish the slam, then figure out how to get the iron out without being able to backwash until the spider gasket comes in. Does this sound correct?

7. Back To Top    #7

That is a pretty good plan. You could try putting polyfill pillow stuffing in your skimmer basket to filter out the iron. It will usually grab iron once it goes out of solution.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you. I will try that today!

9. Back To Top    #9

The iron has settled and caused staining! ��

My my results this morning:
    FC 18.5
    CC .5
    TA 130
    ph 7.4
    cya 25

pretty sure its not algae anymore. The bottom is stained yellow, rust making the whole pool look green. I added acid to lower ph.
    I hope I don't have to repeat the treatment!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Have you thought about a massive water change?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Have your water tested for iron. From one who has done numerous AA treatments, by raising your FC so high you have released the iron out of seqestration. I have to keep my ph at 7.2 with a lower FC level and use weekly sequestrants which gets expensive.....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

12. Back To Top    #12

We are doing a 1/2 drain/refill now. I guess it's better to bite the bullet and do it. The TDS was 1500.
    We will then do another AA treatment.
    I hope this solves it once and for all!
    The stains are horrible!

Main still worried that the stains from the walls will stay in the water.

Thanks to everyone!
    I'll repost my results

13. Back To Top    #13

TDS is not an important number to know, there are so many different components that contribute to that number. Keep in mind that AA uses up your chlorine so test often and keep it above minimum for your CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

But Don't I have to lower my chlorine to do another AA treatment?

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
    This is how it looks with a partial drain

15. Back To Top    #15

Yes, you definitely need to lower your FC for the AA treatment. But, as soon as you bring back your FC to minimum for your CYA you need to test and add bleach/chlorine frequently because the AA will use up the chlorine quickly.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

When can I start to bring up FC? Last time I waited too long and got an algae bloom. Should I put a little chlorine right after the treatment?

17. Back To Top    #17

It looks like the consensus is 24 hours after adding AA to start raising FC 2ppm per day. You will have to add 2ppm quite a few times before FC actually holds at 2ppm.

More here,
    Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains
    Ascorbic Acid treatment, scared because it looks TOO good...
    Ascorbic Acid and Return of Brown Stains
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks so much!

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

If you have not already, once you get the pool under control you may want to check with the health department about you taking care of the pools, just to be sure you are following any requirements they may have. Pose it as "we are thinking about doing this". No one here is going to tell you, you shouldn't take over and do a better job than has been done it the past but it would be a good idea to be sure you are covered legally too.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

20. Back To Top    #20

I do plan on taking the CPO class, but haven't yet. I guess I should check.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast