Pentair new model 011055 worth the extra $$?

Mar 30, 2016
Woodland Hills, CA
I need a new pump. I'm looking at the Pentair 011018 or the new 011055 model (I need it to be a Pentair pump since I already have a SunTouch solar controller I want to interface with). The 011055 would run me about $150 more than the 011018. Is it worth it? So far as I can tell, the only difference in the new model is a rotatable control panel. Does anyone know if there are any mechanical or electroinc improvements with the 055 that make it worth the extra money?

Re: Is it worth the extra $? Comparing Intelliflo models

That is the new model and that does seem to be the only change that I have been able to determine. Tons of people here have the 011018 and love them. Keep the 150 bucks to pay for the electricity it uses in the next 10 or 12 months. Mine costs about 12 bucks a month to run.

If you are looking for a good place to buy one here is one I like, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 011018 | Pentair 011018

They also make a smaller VS pump if you don't need 3hp. Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

Keep shopping. My cost on both of those pumps are the same, so what ever store you are looking at, something is up.
I am partial to the Sta-Rite versions of those pumps (still a Pentair product). Main reason, the whole pump sits a bit higher off the pad, and you can better see under the pump. This is helpful when trying to clean the area or ident leaks.

Im guessing that my distributor has not updated his site, and i'm getting a price for "last years" model that didn't have the move-able keypad. If you are OK with the keypad in the original position, then get the less expensive one. If you want the option to rotate the keypad, perhaps you would need to, due to pump position, or plumbing running over the pump, etc., then get the move-able pad. Now, i do know that there is also a kit available that allows you to completely remove the drive control and relocate it to say a wall closer for convenience. Maybe that is included with the pump you are looking at, and that is the increased cost. If i remember, the cost of that re-locator, it is about the price of the difference you are seeing. Not sure. Im sure a quick call to the store could clear this up.

I should be clearer. Really I am finding the 055 for about $50 more than the 018. But I can buy the 018 in other states and have it shipped for free, which saves me almost $100 in tax. The 055 is harder to find and the best price I can get is from my pool guy, who has to charge me tax.

You can buy the 011018 online for $859 with free shipping and no tax. The best prices I've seen on the new pump are considerably more.

Pentair IntelliFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump - 011018

But, if the price of the new model is close it might be worth it since they have dropped the warranty on the 011018 to two years. Only the new 2-VST model qualifies for a three year warranty now.

The 055 is harder to find and the best price I can get is from my pool guy, who has to charge me tax.

Yea, the 55 is the new 2 and is probably a little harder to get cuz manufacturing released it just recently(right before the new year i think), and is playing catch up to satisfy demand. Try looking for the IntelliPro 2 VST. You might have better luck. Motor and drive are the same, Maxi-pro design pump.

Here's something else to consider...

April 1st through July 8th.

Buy Pentair or Sta-Rite VS...

Oh here, just look!

Note that it requires a purchase at "Brick and mortar" retailers for the best rebates!

Wow, thank you for posting this, I was JUST ABOUT to order a 011018!

Where did you find this? I can't seem to find it on Pentair's website.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm assuming "qualified installation" means that I need to pay to have my pool guy install it (as opposed to installing it myself)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Note that you can get the $50 rebate if you buy the 011018 online ($859) and submit for the rebate and two year warranty by submitting a bill for installation from a plumber, electrician, pool service, etc. Pentair isn't very picky about who does the "professional installation", they just want to see a bill for the work along with the submission. That's how I did mine. Bought the pump at the best online price and paid a local service I know to check my install and give me a bill for the "installation". Got my rebate and warranty.

The "bricks and mortar" restrictions only apply to the new 2 VST pumps.

Edit: I just checked the Pentair website. I can't find any reference to that rebate. What are the dates? Is it still in effect?

Here's something else to consider...

April 1st through July 8th.

Buy Pentair or Sta-Rite VS...

Oh here, just look!

Note that it requires a purchase at "Brick and mortar" retailers for the best rebates!

Starts today! You may want to give Pentair a day or two to get it on their website...

- - - Updated - - -

While you may get a better deal with the other pump online ($50 rebate) i would still get the pump through brick and mortar for a longer warranty.

Starts today! You may want to give Pentair a day or two to get it on their website...

- - - Updated - - -

While you may get a better deal with the other pump online ($50 rebate) i would still get the pump through brick and mortar for a longer warranty.

It depends, if you are buying the 011018 there is no difference in warranty as long as you have a receipt for the install, and it can be a LOT cheaper online. If you are going with the new 2 VST pump, there isn't much savings online and you give up the warranty unless you pay the "bricks and mortar" premium price.

So it depends on which pump you go with. I would take the 011018, for the cheaper online price and have it "professionally installed" for the $50 rebate and two year warranty. But that's just me. The 2 VST comes at a much higher "bricks and mortar" price, but gives a $100 rebate and a three year warranty. Your choice.

My understanding is that the motor on the VST pumps have 10 magnets in them as opposed to 8. They have also changed from rare earth magnets to some other material. Ferrite or something maybe? I forget exactly what it is. Supposed to be a hair more efficient than previous models.

Also not supposed to be available online, which I support.

My understanding is that the motor on the VST pumps have 10 magnets in them as opposed to 8. They have also changed from rare earth magnets to some other material. Ferrite or something maybe? I forget exactly what it is. Supposed to be a hair more efficient than previous models.

Also not supposed to be available online, which I support.
I was told it now has 10 smaller magnets to replace the 6 larger magnets the previous version had. Its a little more efficient but the real reason is the pump is more reliable. It would stop between magnets and give an overcurrent warning. Now there's more magnets to prevent the pump from stopping between them.

Wish I had found this thread sooner. New build. Opted for the 011018. Will be installed by the builder. Not knowing about the newer 011055. First time pool owner. Reviews of the 011018 were strong so I suppose I can't go wrong either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turns out my PB installed the newer 011055 VS pump after all. I suspect this is a slight upgrade over the 011018.
0173b465ac3cbaba83b117ea7ce657cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.