Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to start AA treatment?

1. Back To Top    #1

Time to start AA treatment?

Hello all,

I have been taking care of my pool since Oct '15 using the TFP method. Now that the water is balanced I'd like to take care of the stains.

TBH I haven't noticing any big stain changes in the past few months. (I didn't pay much attention to the pool when the pool co. was taking care of it.)

I just took some pictures of the stains and boy does my pool look yucky

I tried the vitamin c experiment and I think it looks promising. You might see some white splotches in the earlier pictures. These are from an earlier experiment. I did a new one today (in three spots) to show before and after.

1. There is some very dark staining on a wall. It is a deep blue and black in some spots. It doesn't scrape off with my fingernail.
    2. Some rusty spots on a bench and in the deep end by the main drains. Likely some fertilizer that fell into the pool. There is grass right next to it.
    3. In some spots, turquoise is peeking through. I guess the first layer of plaster has worn off?
    4. In a couple of spots I notice little holes (not much bigger than the point of a pencil). Is there a way to patch these?

The water is pretty balanced. I haven't had a +ive CC reading since last fall.

Should I go ahead and start AA treatment?

I need to add some calcium. Should I do that before or after the AA?

Many thanks!

I'm adding a link to my dropbox folder. Dropbox - pool
    I tried multiple times to add the photos here and/or organize them oh photobucket but it's not working for some reason
    Last edited by calgal198; 03-30-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Missed some info
    ~20,000 gallons, IG white plaster, Cartridge filter (make unknown), Filter Pump (Jandy Stealth Model # SHPM2.0), Probably over 10 years old, Spa, non-functional SWG (bad sensor), Taylor K-2600

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to start AA treatment?

Also how much would be the cost of sequestering agent in regular upkeep after the AA treatment?
    ~20,000 gallons, IG white plaster, Cartridge filter (make unknown), Filter Pump (Jandy Stealth Model # SHPM2.0), Probably over 10 years old, Spa, non-functional SWG (bad sensor), Taylor K-2600

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you get any "sand" in your sweep bag when emptying?
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. I assumed it was from the rocks (waterfall)?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by calgal198 View Post
    Yes. I assumed it was from the rocks (waterfall)?
    That's the plaster wearing off. Took me a long time to realize what it was.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    That's the plaster wearing off. Took me a long time to realize what it was.
    Oh goodness! How do I fix that??

7. Back To Top    #7

I do NOT want to be the one to say it replaster MAYBE that does not need to happen BUT all signs point to it.

Do you have any idea how old the pool is?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Really? would that be for aesthetic reasons or structural? I was really hoping to get by with just an AA treatment.

9. Back To Top    #9

Not sure. We've been in this house less tha 2 years. The house is about 23 years old.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I do NOT want to be the one to say it replaster MAYBE that does not need to happen BUT all signs point to it.

Do you have any idea how old the pool is?

Kim
    Our pool was 25 years old last May and we did a complete remodel including Pebble Tec after emptying bags of plaster sand. If you're in long term that's the way to protect your investment. I know...not easy.

11. Back To Top    #11

The pool was built after '99. That's when my neighbor moved in, but she can't remember exactly when. So less than 17 years.

Is there any sort of urgency to replaster?

12. Back To Top    #12

Are you losing any water? To me THAT is the main question. If not then you can baby it along BUT I would not do anything big to the plaster that is there as you do not want to do anything that might harm it any more. Learn to live with the stains and enjoy swimming in it like it is.

The better you maintain the proper levels the longer what is left will last.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Nope, not losing any water. *knock on wood* So is AA out of the question do you think?

14. Back To Top    #14

Why take the chance it might "eat" more of your plaster?

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Are you losing any water? To me THAT is the main question. If not then you can baby it along BUT I would not do anything big to the plaster that is there as you do not want to do anything that might harm it any more. Learn to live with the stains and enjoy swimming in it like it is.

The better you maintain the proper levels the longer what is left will last.

Kim
    Agree. More cosmetic than anything. We lived with it long enough and decided to get active but no hurry if you don't mind the look. Water quality first!

16. Back To Top    #16

You're both right. And I was getting so happy looking at the clean patches the vit c tablets. Sigh.
    Thanks for your input though!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Hugs! I know sigh.........

Kim