Attached below is a tragic story of a man who lost his life trying to save his daughter in an electrically charged pool.
Silicon Valley exec dies trying to save daughter in pool - SFGate
We don't know all the facts but one lesson is clear: If there is any sign that the problem is electrical (i.e. two persons in distress at the same time) turn off the power at the pad before attempting a rescue.
A couple of other points:
This happened in Palm Springs at a residence. Palm Springs has many older pools which have less than perfect grounding and no or little bonding. While we don't know the cause here, bonding significantly reduces the risk of this type of injury. Its not just something for the inspector to be picky about.
Second, it points out why all your pool equipment, lights, pump, swg, whatever, and probably the outdoor kitchen should all run through the same subpanel by the pad so you can quickly kill all electrical power to the pool and everything nearby. Each member of your family should be trained on how to shut off the power. If this man had only known to to kill the local power first he would be alive and his daughter might not be so injured.