Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Order and frequency of testing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Order and frequency of testing?

Our pool should be ready in a few more weeks and I'm trying to get handle on the water testing and maintenance.
    I have the TF100 test kit ordered and have read sections of pool school on chemicals and testing, but still have several questions...

Is there a certain order that the various tests should be done in?
    How often should each of the various tests be conducted?
    What else should I do to prepare myself?

Thanks!
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Order and frequency of testing?

Specific order to test? Not really. Go ahead and test everything with your TF-100. Based on the results, then you determine what should be done first. We can help. Here is a good TFP page on frequency of testing: Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule. Still, every pool is different, so you may test some items slightly differently. But it's a good starting point.

Best thing to do while waiting ... read (and re-read) the links from the Pool School page (link in my sig), and have the Recommended Levels and Chlorine/CYA Chart handy as a reference at all times. Follow those references and you can never go wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and practice using the Poolmath Calculator. Pre-load your pool size and different test readings/goals to see how that tool works. It is a fantastic product that will save you a lot of time and effort. Pay particular to the FC row and ensuring you manually enter the correct bleach percentage.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Another easy one for me! What Pat said! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In time, you'll also get a feel for what, and how often it should be tested. FC, pH will be the primary ones, and you'll have a handle on the frequency needed quite quickly.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

As everyone above me has said, FC and pH are the most frequently tested...and since your pool will be new the gunnite has a period where it will be curing.

This may take months, but you'll need to keep a close eye on the pH and may require frequent dosing of muriatic acid (MA) to keep in range.

It will stabilize as it cures and require less pH adjustments.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I think it is always a good idea to test your fill water when your kit gets in. Those numbers may help you later but, more importantly, it gives you practice with the kit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the help. My test kit should be delivered by tomorrow, so I'll be sure to test my fill water and hopefully, I'll be able to get the hang of it.
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

You'll do fine. If you also ordered the speed stir .... be careful. It's addicting. If you have any questions, just let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!