Novice above ground pool Need help setup intex pool Hayward sand filter aquatrol swg

Hello everyone,

I am a Novice. I am wanting to setup an aboveground pool for 2 to 3 years. My wife and I want a reiable system that will not break and work. I am considering the following setup:
Intex ultra frame 24' x 52", level ground with 2" of sand, gorilla pad, then Hayward sand filter with 1 HP pump, aquatrol AQ-TROL-RJ, and skimmer. I am in Florida. Also I am going to use a neptune a-frame entry system.

I have learned what I know about pools from TFP. I like this forum. Please let me know what you think? I am on a budget also. Thank you to everyone in advance.
Scoggs

Welcome to TFP!

If you are only looking for a few years you could go with an Intex sand filter and saltwater system and save quite a bit of money. The biggest sand filter/pump combo and the SWG should be less than 400 bucks, will work well and will easily last that long.

HI! I love seeing another FL person! I am right down the road from you! You are doing to LOVE having a pool!

You say you are going to level with sand...........we recommend you dig down to the lowest spot to level. Sand will settle and cause the pool to go out of level. You can put sand down AFTER you have level the whole area if you want for weed help. There are several videos on how to level ground for a pool.

Kim

Definitely level off the pool site by removing grass n high spots.

Awesome thank you. I just want a pool that is as maintenance free as possible while not having to fix or replace anything for the 2-3 years. YES I am definitely going to level the ground down to the lowest spot. Please let me know what you think of my next sentences if it will work and if it is not the best way please advise me .

Then put sand down for a soft feel. I am also going to put a Gorilla pad for weed prevention, cut avoidance, and to hopefully avoid any foot rivets in the floor.
Also, hard plumb the water flow.
Then dig a trench to sink the electrical to my shed so I can cut grass.
Put a plastic border against the gorilla pad and weight the pad down with brick or rocks so I can weed eat.
I was also consider building a dog house or car port style to keep the pump and swg out of direct sunlight and rain.

Lastly, when I get it done I will post pics.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Scoggs

HI! I love seeing another FL person! I am right down the road from you! Got are doing to LOVE having a pool!

You say you are going to level with sand...........we recommend you dig down to the lowest spot to level. Sand will settle and cause the pool to go out of level. You can put sand down AFTER you have level the whole area if you want for weed help. There are several videos on how to level ground for a pool.

Kim

We have sand under ours.........the guy that helped set it spent SO much time on the bottom getting it smooth and level. It was a work of art! Within a month there were small places where the weight of the water and life make little dips and such. It is really only noticeable when dirt blows into the pool and settles in those little dips and at night if we turn the pool light on. If you want to see all of the imperfections in your pool just turn on a under water light at night :shock:

Several people have used foam panels triple taped together for their pool bottoms. SO smooth and soft but does cost more than sand..........I don't know what your wallet looks like hehe

Around the outside of the pool..............I would pull the cleared area out for about a foot or so and fill it in with pretty rocks on top of roofing felt for weed block. I do like the idea of the border to help keep the rocks in and grass out.

Plumbing-hard plumbing is the only way to go! So much safer in the long run..........less risk of connections coming loose!

UNDER the plumbing I would have the rocks down into the ground with pavers or such on top of them so that when the water overflows from rain and such it will not wash out the sand and such from under the pool. (been there, done that :( )

I think I covered it all. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Kim

I did both, sand and foam, knowing what I know now I would just level and use foam.. it makes a great bottom and no footprints or any issues what so ever. You can look at my pool thread below in my signiture..

salt water generator is also the way to go along with hard plumbing :)

Thank you for all the advice. I am searching online for the best prices to ship to Florida. Have a great day.
Scoggs

I did both, sand and foam, knowing what I know now I would just level and use foam.. it makes a great bottom and no footprints or any issues what so ever. You can look at my pool thread below in my signiture..

Thank you for all the advice. I am searching online for the best prices to ship to Florida. Have a great day.
Scoggs

Intex pools are generally cheap at Walmart. The larger pools 20' to 26' foot pools usually are hit or miss to be in stock at a store. However you can get them shipped FREE to your local Walmart and pick up from there. If you choose to have it delivered to your house they charge 99.00 freight charge.

I am having my 22' one shipped to my local Walmart for two reasons.

1. I can inspect the box before accepting the pool. If it comes in pretty beat up I will not accept and request another one be shipped or have my money refunded for damaged packaging.
2. Having it shipped to my store and picking it up myself gives me free shipping. No freight charge at all. So just the cost of the pool plus tax.

Good Luck!

What type of foam would you use knowing what you know now. I only need it to last 2-3 years.
Scoggs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What type of foam would you use knowing what you know now. I only need it to last 2-3 years.
Scoggs

I used this type, it is 3/4 thick and worked great but is on the spendy side. Shop STYROFOAM R5 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.75-in x 4-ft x 8-ft; Actual: 0.687-in x 3.937-ft x 7.875-ft) at Lowes.com

I know people have gone with 1/2 inch thick and its 12 dollars a sheet Shop R5 Unfaced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.5-in x 8-ft x 4-ft; Actual: 0.437-in x 7.937-ft x 3.875-ft) at Lowes.com

They do have 1/4 inch sheet but I do not know if it would be enough, it would be way easier because its 50 foot long and you could cut the end and just move it to the next section :) you would have to do the area math to see if 1 would do, it has a total of 200 sq ft coverage area. Shop Kingspan Insulation R1 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.25-in x 4-ft x 50-ft; Actual: 0.25-in x 4-ft x 50-ft) at Lowes.com

My pool is 32x16ft so the square setup worked great for me, yours is round so it will require more cutting.

Get the extra thick gorilla tape, it worked awesome :) Shop GORILLA 2.88-in x 90-ft Black Duct Tape at Lowes.com

Are there any opinions about sand vs foam as a bottom layer? How is the feel of sand versus foam. All comments welcome thank you
Scoggs

I used this type, it is 3/4 thick and worked great but is on the spendy side. Shop STYROFOAM R5 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.75-in x 4-ft x 8-ft; Actual: 0.687-in x 3.937-ft x 7.875-ft) at Lowes.com

I know people have gone with 1/2 inch thick and its 12 dollars a sheet Shop R5 Unfaced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.5-in x 8-ft x 4-ft; Actual: 0.437-in x 7.937-ft x 3.875-ft) at Lowes.com

They do have 1/4 inch sheet but I do not know if it would be enough, it would be way easier because its 50 foot long and you could cut the end and just move it to the next section :) you would have to do the area math to see if 1 would do, it has a total of 200 sq ft coverage area. Shop Kingspan Insulation R1 Faced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.25-in x 4-ft x 50-ft; Actual: 0.25-in x 4-ft x 50-ft) at Lowes.com

My pool is 32x16ft so the square setup worked great for me, yours is round so it will require more cutting.

Get the extra thick gorilla tape, it worked awesome :) Shop GORILLA 2.88-in x 90-ft Black Duct Tape at Lowes.com

Just seeing if anyone has an opinion on sand vs foam as a base
Scoggs
For years we had our intex pools set up on sand that filled a ring of retaining wall block that we leveled. At the start of each season (we took our pool down each winter), I would level the sand prior to setting up the pool. Invariably during the setup process I'd end up leaving a footprint or two, so to start the season we'd already have a depression or two in the bottom. By fall, the bottom would have multiple heel prints, etc, in it that would collect debris.

We installed a new, larger intex ultra frame last year, and relocated the pool area. After leveling the ground, this time I went with 2" foam, triple taped with gorilla tape. Fantastic smooth soft pool floor, and so far, no depressions.

But, very expensive. I prefer the foam thus far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.