Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Role of SWCG in SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Role of SWCG in SLAM

Hi everybody,
    I have been following the methods here (with liquid chlorine) for about a year with reasonable success. I just installed a SWCG this weekend to avoid having to carry chlorine around all the time and now I am in the middle of a SLAM due to my inconsistent chlorinating schedule previously. My question is: why is it recommended here NOT to use the SWCG at all during a SLAM? I get that you don't want to use it to reach the shock level, but why not use it for the "maintain" part of the SLAM? I am one of those who cannot be at the side of the pool during a normal workday and it seems like the SWCG could really help in keeping those FC levels up while I am away and until I am ready to put in more of the liquid stuff. This is especially true if the SWCG is oversized as recommended here.
    IG plaster pools built in 1985 (?): 16k(?) gallons lap pool (62'x8') connected by a spillover to 17k(?) gallons squarish pool (22.5'x18'). DE filters Pentair NS-48(x2), polaris 280 (non-functioning). Inline chlorinator [removed!] -> Circupool Si60 SWCG [Newly self installed March 2016!]. Recently acquired dolphin nautilus+ [Summer 2015]. Still figuring out what else I have and how things work.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Role of SWCG in SLAM

You can certainly use the SWG to help maintain your FC level if you are not around.

A couple reasons we usually recommend not to:
    1. You get a better feel for the process when you can see the rate of FC consumption dropping as the SLAM continues. You have less of a feel for this when the SWG is adding FC.
    2. The SWG MUST be off when you try the OCLT.
    3. Just saves a little wear and tear on the SWG cell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the clarification! I like to understand the rationale behind the recommendations and I couldn't quite figure out why not use the newly installed chlorine factory that I have

So, if I understand your point, the recommendation is mostly a matter of knowing what is going on. You get a better feel for how fast chlorine is being consumed if you add everything manually and of course you don't want any chlorine production while you are doing the overnight test. About the last point, the wear and tear in the cell, isn't the cell just a way to produce chlorine? Over its lifetime time it can produce X pounds of the stuff and the usual argument is that with a SWCG you pay upfront for the chemicals, but that the cost for them over the lifetime of the system is about the same. So then, why would it matter if you are using the chlorine for a slam or just for routine levels? Is it more strain on the cell to be on 100% for the few days that the slam lasts?

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You can certainly use the SWG to help maintain your FC level if you are not around.

A couple reasons we usually recommend not to:
    1. You get a better feel for the process when you can see the rate of FC consumption dropping as the SLAM continues. You have less of a feel for this when the SWG is adding FC.
    2. The SWG MUST be off when you try the OCLT.
    3. Just saves a little wear and tear on the SWG cell.
    IG plaster pools built in 1985 (?): 16k(?) gallons lap pool (62'x8') connected by a spillover to 17k(?) gallons squarish pool (22.5'x18'). DE filters Pentair NS-48(x2), polaris 280 (non-functioning). Inline chlorinator [removed!] -> Circupool Si60 SWCG [Newly self installed March 2016!]. Recently acquired dolphin nautilus+ [Summer 2015]. Still figuring out what else I have and how things work.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Yes.

You really (I suppose) want your SWG to last as long as possible. But with that said, they produce chlorine for a finite number of hours really. If slamming, and you can't be there to add chlorine every hour or couple of hours it probably is no harm no foul to use the SWG to maintain chlorine while you're gone. I personally wouldn't reccoment the 100% setting for your SWG as that will tax it in terms of life span.

Slam with chlorine if you can. Use SWG if you must while gone. But know what you're putting in and why.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, you caught me, #3 was a bit of a stretch.

You are right that the SWG will produce X amount of chlorine in its life. Running at 100% should not be any extra strain. But by running at 100% for a few days/week you have lessened the time until you need to by a new cell ... by a couple days ... I did say "a little wear and tear"
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks AimeeH and jblizzle! Makes a lot more sense now. I will continue my slam with the help of the SWCG without feeling guilty about it. I really love that thing. I was so tired of constantly buying bleach and being a member of the honor club of white speckled clothes people

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL! Nice! Everyone needs at least one bleach speckled shirt! Do ya'll have nutria in Austin? Or are you from New Orleans?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I'll add another factor for not using the SWG for a SLAM. The very word "SLAM" means you take the FC right to the calculated level immediately. You "jolt" the FC in your pool to get it started immediately.....I'm sure the word "shock" was based on the same idea.

I can't explain this with solid science but it seem very logical to me to hit the FC very hard. I believe it will lessen the length of the SLAM.

Of course, you cannot do that with an SWG.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I would do exactly as we have always said, SLAM to your CYA/FC amount like Dave said "jolt". then turn on your SWG while you are away, when you return, see where you are at and using bleach bring back to SLAM level

And repeat

best of both worlds
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, you would bring the level up with addition on liquid chlorine as taught here, but why not keep the SWCG on so that the level does not drop below shock (or at least not as fast)? That was all I was wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I'll add another factor for not using the SWG for a SLAM. The very word "SLAM" means you take the FC right to the calculated level immediately. You "jolt" the FC in your pool to get it started immediately.....I'm sure the word "shock" was based on the same idea.

I can't explain this with solid science but it seem very logical to me to hit the FC very hard. I believe it will lessen the length of the SLAM.

Of course, you cannot do that with an SWG.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    I would do exactly as we have always said, SLAM to your CYA/FC amount like Dave said "jolt". then turn on your SWG while you are away, when you return, see where you are at and using bleach bring back to SLAM level

And repeat

best of both worlds
    Sounds sensible to me!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Yes, you would bring the level up with addition on liquid chlorine as taught here, but why not keep the SWCG on so that the level does not drop below shock (or at least not as fast)? That was all I was wondering.
    If you do so, you cannot track your chlorine loss during the SLAM and that is important.

Review the SLAM procedures and you will see the SWG will only confuse your testing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School