ePool

JasonLion said:
If you can't read the standard PH test, the ColorQ is your best bet. It has some quirks, problems with high FC levels and high CH levels, and the CYA test is both difficult to do correctly and amazingly imprecise. But if you are aware of those issues it is quite usable.

I would stay away from the Aqua-Chem Tru-Test.

My K-2006 test kit and ColorQ correlate very well, even for CYA. I have compared the 2 for 2 seasons now and have full confidence in the ColorQ.

I have to agree with all the negative posts about this sensor.

I bought one about a month ago. Over half the time I have had it it has been "unconnected" either because the remote unit needed to be moved closer to the sensor (the remote unit's words, not mine) even though at one point I had them within two feet, or telling me I should "Inspect the sensor." (The instruction booklet does not tell you how to make said inspection.)

Please read Mikea's posting before you buy this unit. I would not recommend it to anyone. One should get much better performance from a $250 unit.

George

My wife bought me an epool for fathers day. We followed the instructions, had our pool water tested by leslies and made adjustments until they told us the pool was stable and we started using the epool. We have a 19000 salt pool. After the second day it told us the alkalinity was too high and it also told us to add muriatic acid so we did. This went on every other day for several days. I called Leslies and they told me that was accurate because it had rained a couple of the days. I took a water sample into leslies and they told me our alkalinity was 40 and we had to add 15lbs of alkalinity up. I explained what the epool had been telling us to do and the guy there said he was not familiar with how the epools works. The next day the epool told us to add another 40oz of muriatic acid. I again went back to leslies and a new guy told me the setup was really particular with the epool and to start from scratch. Having completed that, the epool again told us to add more muriatic acid. 3 weeks of messing with this thing, I was fed up with it and took it back to Leslies. They told me I would have had to return it within 14 days for them to take it back and I needed to call GAME the manufacturer. I asked if anyone in the store knew anything about the epool and got a bunch of blank stares. I have called the maufacturer and left a message every day for 5 days and still have not received a call back. Waste of $250.00 and I believe Leslies has lost a customer. Oh yeah, as a added note, The sign for the epool in leslies now has a sticker on it that reads "Leslies does not recommend using the epool on Salt pools" right above where it says it works on salt pools.. They have also removed the epool from the website.

My wife purchased the ePool from Leslie's in May 2009 against my advice not to. I had a suspicion that an electronic testing unit like this could not be reliable.

In just over two months we have experienced an almost daily call to action by the remote display. The Ph is either too high or too low, as well as the chlorine being up and down day to day even though we have an automatic dispenser. When you manually test it the values are fine. Other days the remote can't find the ePool or you have to clean the sensor every other day. At the two month mark the battery had to be replaced (even though it is suppose to last a full year) primarily because of some moisture due to the unit sitting in the sun and causing the battery to corrode. Leslie's was able to get a free replacement for us, but then we discovered that the sensor is now broken. From reading other posts, it appears that the sensor and battery both need to be replaced annually at over half the cost of the unit.

My wife has called the tech support line three times and had to leave a voice mail. Guess what no callbacks. We finally resorted to calling and leaving a message for the store manager at Leslie's on what the options for returning the unit or getting a replacement, which I have little faith will work either. I checked Leslie's website and it has been removed, which must mean massive consumer issues. When you Google epool a link does come up and properly go to a rebate form they used www.lesliespool.com/pdf/ePOOL_coupon-revised.pdf. Obviously this is a product that appears to have suffered a large reliability failure. It is probably technology a little ahead of its' time when factoring in the average pool owner.

Sucker said:
3 weeks of messing with this thing, I was fed up with it and took it back to Leslies. They told me I would have had to return it within 14 days for them to take it back and I needed to call GAME the manufacturer. I asked if anyone in the store knew anything about the epool and got a bunch of blank stares. I have called the maufacturer and left a message every day for 5 days and still have not received a call back. Waste of $250.00 and I believe Leslies has lost a customer. Oh yeah, as a added note, The sign for the epool in leslies now has a sticker on it that reads "Leslies does not recommend using the epool on Salt pools" right above where it says it works on salt pools.. They have also removed the epool from the website.

Have you tried talking to the manager at Leslie's? I would definitely ask for your money back. That device sounds like a total ripoff. Also, if you paid with your credit card, you could try disputing it that way. Good luck and I hope you get your money back.

mickey4paws said:
Sucker said:
3 weeks of messing with this thing, I was fed up with it and took it back to Leslies. They told me I would have had to return it within 14 days for them to take it back and I needed to call GAME the manufacturer. I asked if anyone in the store knew anything about the epool and got a bunch of blank stares. I have called the maufacturer and left a message every day for 5 days and still have not received a call back. Waste of $250.00 and I believe Leslies has lost a customer. Oh yeah, as a added note, The sign for the epool in leslies now has a sticker on it that reads "Leslies does not recommend using the epool on Salt pools" right above where it says it works on salt pools.. They have also removed the epool from the website.

Have you tried talking to the manager at Leslie's? I would definitely ask for your money back. That device sounds like a total ripoff. Also, if you paid with your credit card, you could try disputing it that way. Good luck and I hope you get your money back.

Took your advise and spoke to the manager at Leslies. 25 year old girl. She told me they have sold out of them at Leslies and can't keep them on the shelves. Very few people have had any issues and those that have had issues, have had no issue dealing with the manufacturer on repair or replacement. When I asked about the salt disclaimer she told me thay have had issues with the salt pools giving incorrect alkaline and PH readings but that the temperature sensor still works fine. I think my jaw must have hit the floor and I asked her if she thought $250 was a tad expensive for a thermometer. She did not get it, so I asked what she considered an issue to be and she just looked at me with a blank look on her face. I left the store.

I recently bought one of these gadgets from Leslie Pool - thought it would be helpful??? However, I am very disappointed. First, Leslie pool told me if I had a problem with it I had to deal with the manufacturer - which I did contact in Arizona. After several phone calls they finally decided to send me another one that they had tested and they said it worked. Well, needless to say - I am still having problem with this one. I really just want to return the darn thing and get my money back. The summer is almost over and so far this thing has been useless. I should have known better. Nothing beats testing the water yourself. Did those of you who returned it have to go to the manufacturer or did Leslie Pool refund it for you? I definitely do not recommend this product!!!!

Here at TFP, we have yet to hear from anyone who has had one that continued working for more than perhaps two weeks. When a retail store says that you have to deal with the manufacturer directly it means that there has been a huge failure rate and the store can not afford to continue supporting the product.

I have had one for about 3 months and like it, despite its issues.
11k gal Salt Pool and the sensor stopped working after 3 months. GAME sent me a new one (no cost - after reading my description of how it stopped functioning) and I installed it this weekend (though the batteries are corroded and I either need to clean and resolder them myself or find a replacement).

Why do I like it? It provides a regular reading of the PH multiple times a day and allows for easy small corrections to keep it in bounds. I could use test strips 2x day to do the same thing, but rather than take 5 minutes, it takes 20 seconds to glance at the screen. In reality, I'll test with strips maybe 2X/week and unless I write down the results, I don't have a good feeling for how fast the PH is drifting. Chlorine reading seemed to only get total chlorine and not free chlorine.

Currently, an expensive toy that is on its way to being useful and reliable technology - but not there yet. So if you don't have the tolerance of an "early adopter" of technology you really want to see in the marketplace some day, I couldn't recommend it. But if you do - it can be very useful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
boy i am glad i decided to research this thing...thought it too good to be true actually. i have been a pool owner for many years, have been using test strips and then occasionally up to leslies for precise readings.... thought the digital a waste of money since you still have to purchase costly strip specifically for those models. i just joined and after reading some posts i am curious about the tester models recommended here. where to buy? and which one is not a color match system???

lrod945, welcome to TFP!
The test kits we recommend are the TF-100 (sold at TF Test Kits, link in my sig) and the Taylor K-2006. They both use the exact same chemicals, and provide all the tests you need to have a trouble free pool. The TF-100 is a better buy, since it contains different sizes of the reagents which better match the amounts that are actually required for the test. It is also quite a bit less expensive. :goodjob:

lrod945 said:
boy i am glad i decided to research this thing...thought it too good to be true actually. i have been a pool owner for many years, have been using test strips and then occasionally up to leslies for precise readings.... thought the digital a waste of money since you still have to purchase costly strip specifically for those models. i just joined and after reading some posts i am curious about the tester models recommended here. where to buy? and which one is not a color match system???

To further expand on Melt's answer, the TF 100 and the Taylor K2006 both rely on color change. TA turns green to red, FC pink to clear. pH still requires a color match on a testing block.

For further reading about test kits check out this thread comparing test kits.

That product is cool vision for the future. If they could make something like this relatively accurate with a wifi connection that pushed the data online, or had a local web server that allowed you look at trends....very cool. I have my power and water usage setup that way, would be nice to also monitor the pool. I'm not lazy, I just like the idea of lots of data to watch trends.

Big emphasis on "Future" though...

In a perfect world (for us lazy people), a reliable automated system would be released that is compatible with intelli/easytouch. It would just be a dream to get a push notification on my iPhone to stop off at Leslies on the way home and pick up some chemicals. Even simpler, just looking at a submerged digital readout of all levels in the Jacuzzi..

Most people have tried the old version 1 and had several issues. The new Version 2 is much better and and more reliable. We bought a house this year that had a in-ground pool and once we got the water chemical balanced, we started to use this device more as a guide. Don't get me wrong, I still also use test strips and take sample water to the pool store to be tested, but not as often. I have not run into any issues with my Version 2 model. Readings are right inline with other testing methods!

It's 2011 and I've had mine for about a month now.

The guys at the Leslie's (4 blocks away) said that the earlier models (<2010?) had electrodes that would corrode quickly in salt water but that they had been changed this year and they haven't had any problems. Understanding Leslie's return policy I dove in and got one at the $199 sale price (pun intended).
Looking on the web I found that they even have an update program for this version (version 2). I ran the update, it worked fine (from Win XP 32 bit, not from Win7 64 bit), but there was no info on version number or changes or fixes so I don't know if it's any better or different from the stock programming.

I did not want something to replace my TF-100, rather I wanted something that would warn me when I needed to use my TF out of normal schedule, and that's pretty much what this does. My pool tends to be unstable sometimes (sudden chlorine loads, temperature changes, leaves, etc) While not what I would like to have, it serves a purpose with the following caveats and features:
- the pH value is not perfectly accurate but close enough to alert on wide swings. It also has a limit setter that lets you change what values the pH can be before alarm.
- the temperature seems to be a few degrees above the four or five other thermometers I've used
- the cl level is only either >2 or alarm. Good enough to warn about sudden dropouts but I of course would have liked to see the actual value.
- When the pH or chlorine level is changed to correct an alarm, you have to wait for an 8 hour stabilization period before it works again. Really irritating but not a deal breaker
- When first starting up the system needs one hour to initialize

I purchased it while I was cleaning up from an algae bloom caused by a drop in salt and subsequent non-functioning SWClG. After I got the pool clear again with some bleach and fixed the salt problem, I left the cl generator off and waited to see when the Epool would give me the notice. By the time the red light came on it was probably within hours of another algae bloom but still soon enough that immediate action prevented any problems.

Summary: I think it works well enough for the price as a backup alarm to prevent those ooops moments but should certainly not be relied on for daily checking or dosing measurements.

If anything changes, I'll update.

Just an update - so far so good.
This is pretty much what I wanted. If I forget to check, or I get an invasion of frogs (pretty dumb animals, actually) and the cl drops out suddenly, this device will tell me before I need to buy buckets of bleach.
I would really be interested in understand why and how this sensor works (my ORP sensors do not work, I think because of excessive hydrogen buildup in my almost constantly covered, way over-sized salt cell, pool). One "trick" they use is that the CL doesn't show a specific amount, only under or over 2ppm, and in my case I think it was probably closer to 0.5 ppm when the alarm said under 2. Much simpler to develop a sensor to show a binary value.

The pH is a bit better. I can watch it moving and if I see something funny (a rapid change or even an alarm for too high or low) I can react quickly and confirm with my TF-100.
Neither one of these sensors is very accurate but I really appreciate the backup it provides.

To be clear, this is NOT the same model sold in 2009 despite style and price similarities. The early versions apparently die in salt water and the software is not updateable.
This model has a mini USB connector and easy path to software update.

I have updated the software once and it seems to have one huge improvement; in the prior version, whenever the device went into alarm, you had to confirm the alarm and then wait 8 hours for the pool to stabilize before it would start measuring again. After the update it only requires a one hour wait.

All-in-all so far I think it was worth the money. It's not a replacement for titration tests but it is a good backup.

Anybody buying one of these, make sure you have the current version - NOT the one WITHOUT the USB connector on the remote!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.