ePool

They must be really REALLY creative using the ORP values then because I have seen everything from 600 down to -200 and wild fluctuations in my pool using two different but identical model handheld meters.

My CYA is probably not much over 30-40, maybe under by now. The pool is in a lot of shade and I keep it covered except when swimming or refilling (with rain) so I don't focus on CYA too much.

Still, after the 2009/2010 fiasco the everyone describes here, I think they did a good job with this version of making this thing do exactly what I was looking for; a backup, emergency, rough estimate with red blinking light if something goes wrong.

I'd sure like to hear from anyone else that purchased one of these newer ones.

Re: ePool - update

Actually the latest post was from this year - 2011 - but I'm guessing you missed reading to the end of the post. That's ok though because I wanted to update this anyway and this seems like a good time.

I have been using it for several months now and I was pretty much doing what I wanted - giving me an early warning if things got out of tolerance.

However, a few months ago the pH values started fluctuating wildly. I checked the pool values and found everything ok and I know my pool is pretty pH stable anyway so I just ignored it. The Cl value continued to be pretty reliable and that was what I wanted to see anyway so I was still ok with it.

However, a few weeks ago I noticed the remote display was off - blank and dark. I checked the power supply and connection and suddenly the display connector fell off of the board and inside the display housing. I disassembled the display and found that the solder connections on the mini-usb jack had completely failed.

And there it sits since then - haven't had time with the holidays to fiddle with it.
I guess they still have quality problems.

I'm planning on either fixing it myself or contacting the "GAME" people. Ill post as it goes.

Agree with the majority of you...
All else fails just take a sample in weekly in the summer months. Not sure about everyone else but having apool out of balance during those harsh summer months of heat, and hearing my kids and wife ***** at me cause they cant swim while I attempt to re-balance the chems in the pool is worse then driving 5 miles to test water. I use the old manual method my Dad used growing up. For the two main variables which matter most of all...PH and Chlorine, it cant be beat and you really have to be an idiot not follow along. If things seem a little out of whack I take a test sample to my pool place (not Leslies as they're way over priced) and they throw it under their expensive "gadget" and give me a printed out report. Then the experts, not a crappy off the shelf product, help me w/ certain products and/or dosages.

I bought this system at the beginning of this year and was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. My reason for getting this system was that I have troubles seeing the difference between red, redder, and reddest. So seeing digits with recommended changes to chemistry was something that was of great interest to me. In order to get the most out of this system you really need a dedicated computer running 24/7 near the pool to collect the data. The range of the transmitter is VERY limited. So not instead of paying $300 for this this with the computer we are now up to over $700.

At first everything worked fine (about two weeks). Then there was a software update and that was when the real problems began. I have a 9000 gallon above ground pool and want my ph around 7.4. After the software update, the software told be it was getting a ph reading of 7.0 but 270 ozs of acid was needed to get the ph to 7.4. WRONG!!!!! That much acid a) takes the ph in the wrong direction and b) could make the pool potentially dangerous to enter. I called the company and they told me I didn't have my software calibrated properly. I followed their instructions and the next day my ph reading was 10 and was being told to add an additional 400+ ozs of acid. I decided to re calibrate to my dealers (Leslies Pools where I also bought this thing) test results sheet and decided to look at the results and not use the recommendations. But this is nothing compared to what happen next.

For the past several weeks we have been having extremely hot weather with thunderstorms in the afternoons and evenings. Two days ago I checked my ph and the computer told me it was 6.4 so I added 16 ozs of soda ash. I then noticed that the pool temp was reading 92 degrees! It was not that hot out. So I looked at the history and noticed that for two days the reading were extremely erratic. and noticed that there was no battery reading and no transmission strength. I took the sensor out of the pool, opened the battery compartment and saw the compartment filled with water, the batteries shorted and exploded inside the sensor. Battery acid was leaking everywhere! I took the sensor to Leslies and was told since it was past 15 days since I purchased the device they were no longer responsible and it was a manufacturing issue and I needed to contact them. It took 3 weeks and me yelling at the manager at Leslies to get back to me with the other issue. Who knows how long this will take.

I have had an E pool for 3 years, for 2 1/2 years it was great. Then new ph probes became unavailable. I contacted GAME and they were nice and said they would have new probes in 2 months and would send me one. 3 months later i contacted them again. 2 weeks later i recieved a probe in the mail. The probe was old, dried out and broken. It was like they dug one out of the garbage and sent it to me. In the mean time a friend had purchased a new one. Out of the box the ph probe was dry and dead. 3 months now and he has recieved no help and it has not worked from day one. My advice do not buy one.
Seems to be a good product made by someone intelligent, sold to a company to market that has no clue.

there is a fundemental problem with the acid dosing function on epool. To dose a pool with pH adjustment chemiclas (either increase or decrease pH) you need to know the total alkalinity of the pool. epool can't measure this so dosing instructions based solely on pH will be inaccurate, as experienced by users.

My advice would be to ingnore the acid dosing function

There is another similar product out called Pool Gem. It looks easier to use, with less "moving parts" than epool. There is a chlorine dosing option but not an acid dosing option

We purchased an ePool device in June. To date we have had nothing but problems with wild and "off-the-wall" readings that this device sends to our computer. We, also, fell into the trap of finding the "miracle" device that would make it easy for us to keep track of our chemical status of our pool. This item is, as others noted on this post, a "gimmick." We wish we would have read this blog before we purchased the device. This device has no more capablity of taking accurate readings than a floating rubber duck. There is no "easy-way" to take readings of your pool. Only two ways.... either hire a pool boy to do it or take the readings with a simple, inexpensive pool kit. You can double check your readings by taking to a reputable pool supply dealer. Thankfully we have found one in our area that will not try to sell us a ton of products that we don't need. We have repeatedly called Game (the company that markets this product). To date they have not returned our calls. We have e-mailed them with screen shots of the wild readings this device is giving and we have asked for a full refund. We have little confidence that this will happen. "Buyer Beware" is the catch phrase here. Unfortunately, we did not heed it and are now out the $165.00 that we paid for this through an on-line dealer. Oh by the way....the Game company requests (with an insert) in the ePool box) that you do not attempt to return the device to the dealer but contact them directly. What a joke....

A couple of "old fools" who have learned a hard lesson...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Has anyone had any experiance with their new revision - Version 3? We have a local Namco store closing and this thing was under $100 so i bought, i figured it could still be a nice quick glance backup to the daily regular testing..

So a little update. I've now had this epool up and running for several days and I can say its pretty Dang accurate. Both pH and FC are pretty much spot on to what get with my Taylor kit. By no means it replaces the usual testing, but I think it's a great addition to just see what your levels are with a quick glance. Charting and email reports/alerts is a nice little option to have.

Now, how long will it last is a different question, maybe they've fixed the issues with version 3, maybe I'm just lucky, but so far so good.

I'll post another update in a month or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapawhat?

It sure does. No issues at all. I love that thing, it comes especially handy when I'm traveling and away from home for a few days, since there's no way my wife will use the Taylor kit, she just checks the ePool and I also get an email if the readings are off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.