Electrical trouble

Mar 29, 2016
Auburn, NY
Hello I am new to the forum. I have a Cal Spa System 3000 which I believe is a '96 model. The tub came with the house when I bought it in 2011. So far I have replaced: jet/pump "2" (old one took a dump), the control panel with a new Balboa one, the wooden frame and skirt surround (old frame was rotten and falling apart), and multiple plumbing connections (old ones cracked and leaks ensued) and finally the tub cover. Old one got so bad and took on so much water I could barely lift it off. I have enjoyed the tub thus far. I realize that it is old and parts need replacing now and then.
My most recent problem is the tub was not heating up properly. I was getting a 'COOL' notice on the display. Also, twice I went to check on the tub and it was not running and 'OH' (overheat, according to the manual) was on display.

I opened the cover to the circuit board and found this:

Cover:

Opened:

Closeup:

Not sure what was going on here but according to the diagram on the back of the cover panel the copper lead that is burnt goes to the heater. I decided to monitor it for a day and then this happened:

Closeup:

Back of panel:

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to what is going on and how to fix it. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Google "cal spa system 3000 control board" and you will find several places to get parts. From a quick search it appears that board has been discontinued but replacements, including NOS are still available. If I saw it correctly, one even had a controller, heater and topside control panel for $450.

Thank You for the quick response. I was hoping the whole board wasn't shot but I should probably replace it. I don't want the thought of this thing burning down my house to be in the back of my mind all the time. I figured I needed a new heating element. I wonder how the connection got loose?

In the electrical trade, we call that a BOOM. That was at most 30 amps, imagine what 10000 amps does to electrical equipment.

One of the perks of my job is going to the test lab to cause those kinds of problems. I bet you that the fireball from that 30 amp hit was 6 feet across, but you just cant see it because it goes out too fast, unfortunately there is still enough time to damage eyes and skin.

Arc.jpg

I have a total respect for electricity now.

Wow... I did take the control panel and heater out and did find the nut on that heater lead to be loose. I'm just glad it didn't burn my house down. I don't know too much about electronics, but I wonder why the breaker didn't trip before this happened?

I have been shopping around for a new board, anyone know of a few places to find one? So far the pickings are slim for my model. I'm assuming because it is fairly old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.