Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rolled Beam Pebble Tech Cracks

1. Back To Top    #1

Gilbert, AZ

Rolled Beam Pebble Tech Cracks

We love the pool with the house we bought last summer and excited for the season to start again in a few weeks! Thanks for the wonderful TFP resource. The pool is looking great without spending thousands thanks to the help here!

Unfortunately our pool has a rolled beam design and about 10 years old. It is starting to crack. See the pics. Someone at HD recommended caulk, but that seems like a messy, difficult application. Can I just use a concrete sealant and paint over the cracks? Something else?

I have learned it is not the best design and very seldom used any more in AZ with such hot sunny days. I'd love to get several more years with the current pool and I'm sure there is some maintenance to prevent bigger problems. The previous owner had a couple of places patched, but that doesn't seem to work well as those are cracking worse than the original. Most are perpendicular hairline cracks (I think caused by time and heat) and a few horizontal cracks (maybe from some settling or time). My biggest concern is that a few of the small cracks are getting down near to the water line and I think that is when I start to have big problems as water gets behind the pool wall.

Thanks in advance for any advice and shared experience.

~11,200 gallon in-ground, built ??, pebble tec, hayward 1hp single speed pump on timer, hayward 3025 cartridge filter, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rolled Beam Pebble Tech Cracks

I've read somewhere before that pebble tech may crack when exposed to the air like in your case especially in extreme heat. It needs to be submerged under water for best results is what the article indicated.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

3. Back To Top    #3

Sugar Land , TX

Try a epoxy patch. Will dry clear but not sure how it will hold up to AZ sun and heat. From what I can tell from pic the cracks are not going to waterline.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tallahassee, FL

But it is SO pretty!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

I agree with the epoxy, all of my pebblesheen cracks in the water were patched with 2 part underwater curing epoxy.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Sacramento, CA

You are in Arizona. Pebbletec is in Arizonia. Call them and talk about it or call your local pebbletec authorized installer and see what they have to say. I wouldn't be calkikn or epoxyin until I talked to pebble tec.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall