Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 SWG

I have an old (10 year) Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control system. I have repaired the SWG section of the main circuit board three times and I am starting to have trouble again, the current to the T-15 starts off at 6 amps and over time 50 min the current will drop to approx 3 amps. The T-15 cell is a little over 2 years old and very clean. The board and or components are either a bad design or bad implementation or both and I am getting tired of fixing it. The rest of the control system has worked fine for the 10 years. So I am going to replace the SWG system with either a Hayward Aquarite AQR-15 or a Pentair IC40 and controller and continue to use the AQL for the motor and misc controls. The AQR-15 is much easier to install but I am concerned if the AQR-15 controller has the same board problems as my old AQL-PS-8. If so I would then go with the Pentair SWG and controller.
    15k gallon in ground Gunite pool and Spa, installed 2006. Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS--8 controller with T15 SWG. 2-speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 SWG

The Intellichlor is not without issues either: Intellichlor issues OR problem site:www.troublefreepool.com - Google Search

I have an AquaLogic and it has performed very well for me.

I suspect you are not repairing the main board properly which is why it keeps failing. The K1 relay may need replacing too. But you can also get a new board on eBay for a decent price.

Hayward GLX PCB Main PCB Replacement Aqualogic Main Printed Circuit Board New | eBay
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replace Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 SWG

I did replace the K1 relay about 3 years ago, and the board has been working fine till now. But your point may still be valid. Thanks for the advice, I wish I could find out what the failure rates are for Hayward and pentair units and the decision would be easy.
    15k gallon in ground Gunite pool and Spa, installed 2006. Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS--8 controller with T15 SWG. 2-speed pump