Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Both skimmer lines clogged with leaves. Drain king not working.

1. Back To Top    #1

Both skimmer lines clogged with leaves. Drain king not working.

Can't get then unclogged. What's the next step?
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Both skimmer lines clogged with leaves. Drain king not working.

shop vac? air pressure? plumbing snake?

The real question, how did your lines get clogged if you have skimmer baskets?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a good question. I had a lot of construction done on the pool...plus we have so many trees it's usually covered during the winter.
    ~23,500 Gallon In-Ground Plaster Pool, Intelliflo VS+ Pump, Hayward 4820 DE Filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

One of the skimmers is full of polymeric sand from the paver remodel. Nice.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a bummer! I would probably go with a plumber's snake. Disconnect the pump if it is connected with unions or put a towel or something to catch the junk. If there are Jandy valves in front of the pump take the cover off first and try to grab stuff there.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Here's a shot in the dark but it usually works for me. I call it popping (not trademarked yet). Get the VS pump going at full speed on the main drain open the skimmer line, wait for the pump to recover then slam shut the main drain valve. Count to 5 and re-open. Rinse and repeat. Hopefully that will get it. If not I suggest rigging up an air compressor to a threaded fitting for the skimmer and trying that, don't forget to open the pump lid.

GL!

7. Back To Top    #7

Another thing you could try is to use the drain king on one end while holding a tennis ball in the other end to build up pressure. Hold the tennis ball as the drain king runs until pressure builds up. You'll be able to tell when the pressure is really building up because you'll hardly be able to hold the tennis ball in place and the sound of the drain king will change. When it does, quickly release the tennis ball to let the pressure release immediately. Keep repeating until the blockage is removed. I had my skimmer line plugged with pine straw (skimmer basket was missing) and the drain king alone would not do a thing. Mostly because water would move thru the pine straw blockage and not really build up pressure. It took about 5 tries of the tennis ball trick to have a giant clump of pine straw come flying out.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

One of the lines magically unclogged itself. The leaves blew into the motor and the valve that was unscrewed popped off. It was very dramatic.

Now I just have to deal with the one line that is clogged with sand.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good news! Halfway there!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

The snake may be the best bet for the sand one......What a pain

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I broke one shop vac and got a nicccce shock. So I ordered and even bigger shop vac! Will keep you posted.