Hayward versus Other; Single speed versus Variable speed--->Help Wanted

Mar 21, 2016
South Louisiana
Hi All!
Under my current contract with PB (haven't started yet), I am slated for a single speed Hayward pump. I'm getting a raised spa with 8 jets & a 15X34 fiberglass pool. I will also have a heat pump (chiller)... not sure if that is a different pump or the same as all this pool equipment is confusing to me. Anyway, I've researched a bit on this site and found that Hayward seems to have lots of problems. My question is should I upgrade to a VSP ($700 more) and should I get a Raypak (I've seen suggested many times)? My PB is looking into it for me.

Thanks for any incite ya'll can provide.

Re: Hayward versus Other; Single speed versus Variable speed--->Help Wanted

I would definitely make the main filter pump a variable speed pump, you will likely save $700 in electricity costs the first year. Maybe you answered your own question about the heater? :)

A SuperFlo VS would use about 45 kwh per month while a SuperFlo 1.5 HP single speed pump would use about 217 kwh with the same run time (4 hours). At $0.10/kwh, that is about $17 per month so it would take about 40 months of operation to pay the difference off.

Thanks for the gut check on the numbers. I was figuring on saving about 1750 watts per hour over 8 hours at 10.25 would save about $43 per month. I rounded that up to 50 bucks and got to about 600/yr in savings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.