Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward versus Other; Single speed versus Variable speed--->Help Wanted

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward versus Other; Single speed versus Variable speed--->Help Wanted

Hi All!
    Under my current contract with PB (haven't started yet), I am slated for a single speed Hayward pump. I'm getting a raised spa with 8 jets & a 15X34 fiberglass pool. I will also have a heat pump (chiller)... not sure if that is a different pump or the same as all this pool equipment is confusing to me. Anyway, I've researched a bit on this site and found that Hayward seems to have lots of problems. My question is should I upgrade to a VSP ($700 more) and should I get a Raypak (I've seen suggested many times)? My PB is looking into it for me.

Thanks for any incite ya'll can provide.
    15 X 34 Pacific Blue Viking Fiji, 3'6" to 6', 12,000 gallon with spill-over spa wrapped in stone, 2 laminars, noche travertine coping, & spray deck patio. Hayward Heat Pump, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward versus Other; Single speed versus Variable speed--->Help Wanted

I would definitely make the main filter pump a variable speed pump, you will likely save $700 in electricity costs the first year. Maybe you answered your own question about the heater?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Given south Louisiana electric rates, it might take longer than a year to pay for itself, but not by much.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

A SuperFlo VS would use about 45 kwh per month while a SuperFlo 1.5 HP single speed pump would use about 217 kwh with the same run time (4 hours). At $0.10/kwh, that is about $17 per month so it would take about 40 months of operation to pay the difference off.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the gut check on the numbers. I was figuring on saving about 1750 watts per hour over 8 hours at 10.25 would save about $43 per month. I rounded that up to 50 bucks and got to about 600/yr in savings.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I forgot to mention, Entergy will give a $250 rebate for the use of an Energy Star pool pump so I'm definitely going to use that to offset any cost increase. So really the pump would be $450 more.
    15 X 34 Pacific Blue Viking Fiji, 3'6" to 6', 12,000 gallon with spill-over spa wrapped in stone, 2 laminars, noche travertine coping, & spray deck patio. Hayward Heat Pump, SWG