Preparing to open, but have no CYA in the water..

Jun 28, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I got a new liner in the fall and got the water cleaned up, pH adjusted, algaecide 60 in and closed it up and put the mesh safety cover on.

So now it's a month from opening and it's apparent that I don't have any CYA in the pool due to the new water. I added chlorine and it was gone in a week.

My thought is to dissolve enough CYA powder in 5 gal buckets to get 20 ppm CYA and pour it through the safety cover. Then I could add chlorine/maintain chlorine until I open the pool.

Thoughts?

How about pouring the desired amount of CYA in a couple of sports socks. Then tie them off and hang from a floating piece of pool noodle in the pool. In the cooler water it will take a bit longer to dissolve but it is an easy way to get in. You can use a brush to circulate the water, especially if you're going to be adding bleach.

20ppm worth of CYA in a 20000 gallon pool requires 3lbs 5oz or 1503 grams of CYA. The maximum solubility of CYA in water is 2.7 gm/L. A 5 gal Buck is ~19 L so the maximum amount of CYA you can add to a 5 gal container is approximately 51.3gm or 1.8 oz of CYA.

The rest of the CYA will remain undissolved in the bucket and just pile up on the bottom of your pool if you dump it in.

My sister lives in Kalamazoo. She doesn't open until May so the water is pretty cold still.

I opened last Tuesday my water temp was 47. I had no CYA but the water was cold enough I focused on getting the pool cleaned up first. I did put some chlorine in and kept it on the higher side (10) after a couple of brushings, vacuuming and back washes over the first couple of days but I didn't worry to much about CYA. I have only used two gallons of bleach in the last week. Now that the pool is looking good I have started with the CYA.

Why not just pick up a 10 pound bucket of dichlor granules, and then chlorinate with that over the next few weeks?

The stuff dissolves well, and 10 pounds should be enough cya for about 30ppm, or thereabouts.

Wow, I didn't realize dichlor had that much CYA! No wonder I've had troubles with too much CYA in the past. I see that in the calculator now.

I have a 10 lb bucket left over from my pre-TFP days so I'll do that and pH control and we'll be set.
Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.