Mud in the pool----More Complicated than vacuuming to waste....

gtown

Mar 29, 2016
Germantown, TN
Hi All,

We bought a house last summer with an older pool, and this group has really been helpful in helping me learn the ins and outs of owning a pool. Thanks.

OK....So the pool is about 12,000 Gal and recently filled with muddy water that blasted under our retaining wall (insane amount of rain over about a week). Based on research the easy answer is to shock the pool and let the mud settle, then vacuum to waste. Then brush and filter for a week or so until the water clears up.

However, I do not have a waste line. All I have is a "bypass spigot" that can intercept water headed to the filter and send it to the ordinary garden hose I run to the street. I thought that would effectively act as a waste line, but it did not. Half of the muddy water went to the hose and the other half went to the filter. Now the filters are brown, even after spraying with cleaner and hosing at high pressure. There IS some mud in the bottom of the filter basin itself that I can remove. That's probably my next step, just needed a break before I went crazy.

There are two issues I need some help with:

1. The mud- what would you do? Call a pool service to come vacuum it out with a trash pump, or install a 3 way valve that would allow me to shut off flow to the filter and send it 100% through the garden hose to the street?
2. There is now something wrong with the filter/pump/circulation lines- There doesn't appear to be enough suction to really pull the copious amounts of pollen and "floaters" off the top of the water. The pump runs fine, primes quickly and doesn't have any strange noises. Water is flowing through the strainer basket, I blasted the skimmer line with a drain clearing bladder and removed some mud and debris, so it should be clear. For about 3 hours last night the returns were sending a strong current of water across the pool , so no clogs there. Could the issue just be very dirty filters?

My pump is a Hayward, and the filter is a pentair cartridge type.

Thanks!

it is probably the filters are really dirty now... I installed a 3 way valve right after my pump to do exactly what you are talking about it works great... If you know how to plumb it in I would do that in a heartbeat... it will work for lowering the pool water also, so more than 1 use...

here is a good shot of the valve, 1 way goes to the filter and the other to waste

vwkRSaLh.jpg

Cartridge filters are probably the most difficult to clean up a big mess but it will work. Plan on cleaning your filters A LOT. Maybe every 30 minutes at first but it will get longer in between cycles as the mud is picked up.
Based on research the easy answer is to shock the pool and let the mud settle, then vacuum to waste. Then brush and filter for a week or so until the water clears up.
No, don't shock the pool there is no point at this time. Turn your pump off and let the mud settle overnight. The next day, manually vacuum the mud into your filter. Watch your psi and when it goes up by 25%, stop and reclean the cartridges. Do it again and again.
This is the fastest way to get mud out of your pool. You may be able to get only one floor cleaning because your vacuum will stir it up. If so, then just run the filter to filter out what you can. Watch the psi and let that determine when to clean the cartridges. You can do this although it's a hassle..... we'll help as much as possible

I just dealt with this...

We had a lot of rain after Christmas and my liner pulled out of the track and floated. What a mess...

I just opened last week and my pool looks great. I did not shock at all. I just kept my chlorine at 10 and focused on cleaning up the mess. Vacuum, let it settle rinse and repeat. Yesterday I just kept after the crud hanging on. I brushed everything towards the main drain and pulled from there most of the day. I kept after it all day. Anything that settled got brushed throughout the day. I also put some Fiber Clear in my filter Sunday night. I had to backwash at 10 pm last night. The pressure kept rising all day yesterday.

Today the pool looks really good. I reloaded the Fiber Clear, brushed again this morning and am going to run the filter another 24 hours or so and call it good to go.

The key is the brushing...the stuff coats everything and keeps settling right back down.

Thanks all for the insight, I think I am going to take a stab at plumbing in a true "waste line". From there it should be pretty easy to vacuum out.

I need to get the filters working right though. There is a ton of mud that needs to be cleared out, then hopefully they will be functioning again.

Has anyone ever tried their hand at plumbing?

I am going to grab a picture of the set up, but to me it seems pretty straightforward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would do exactly like mine, straight 1.5 inch.. you can get a junk pump Discharge Hose from lowes, harbor freight or amazon and connect directly to the end like mine..

Amazon.com: Apache 98138045 2 Scientific

I just don't see a 5/8 inch hose can move the water you need, unless you pump has a low speed, then it may work???

You are welcome. If you don't need to go to Lowe's, Leslie's sells the backwash hoses as well. I think they might even sell the clamps (probably at a premium!)

Back to report 100% success in plumbing in a "waste line". Only took me about 30 minutes, and vacuuming about 95% of there mud took about an hour. Couldn't have done it without this group. Thanks!

Now on to the filters...the guy at Leslies said I should just replace the filters (shocking that he would say that). I have a hard time believing him after he told me that they only last for about 2 years.

My plan is to soak them in TSP over night in a trashcan, and see what they look like tomorrow.

Question: When do you know it's time to replace the filters? Do they physically break apart, or is there some other way to tell they are beyond saving?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.