Newbie w/ questions

Mar 29, 2016
Chicago,IL
Hello everyone!
i am getting a new 27'x54" above ground pool installed in the next week or 2. I have been reading a lot here and thinking of going the BBB route. I purchased from American sale and its coming with a waterway filter and the frog system. They swear by it at the store and said customers love it. I've read mixed reviews on and want to start off the right way. My family has always had a pool growing up but I never maintained Chems so this is new to me. I just ordered the Taylor 2006 test kit am flooding for additional advice on getting started fresh. I am gonna test my water before filling to see how it shapes up. I'm really curious to know after initial fill up where do I go from there??? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Ron

welcome Ron, you guessed right, throw that frog system out.. You will want to use bleach (liquid chlorine) or a SWG.. good job ordering your 2006, it will set you free from the pool store, unless you want floties :)

you can test your fill water and post here and then once you fill we can give you some info on what to do..

Welcome! :wave:

It's easy to maintain a TFP pool when you're starting out fresh. Don't screw it up with a Frog system.

Here's my take on your situation. Fill it. Get the pump and filter running. When you have good circulation and no leaks, test the water. But don't waste reagents testing CYA -- tap water has none.

Adjust pH, then mess around with the sock and the CYA granules, and then add FC to get to 3. Safe to swim at that point, but likely too cold.
Day 2, check pH again and adjust if needed. You will need the TA measurement to calculate dosage, but if pH is still good, don't bother. Test FC - it will probably be zero or close to it, which is normal -- and add more bleach to get to 3.
Day 3, pH and FC again. The CYA should all be dissolved by then, so target an appropriate FC for your target CYA.
Days 4-6, same thing.
Day 7, check CYA too. See if you reached your target or overshot or if you nailed it. Now you have an actual CYA value to use for your FC target.

That's about it. Maintain FC and keep pH in range and enjoy. Like my signature says, it's like brushing your teeth. A minute or two every day is all it takes. It will soon be as mindless and routine as brushing your teeth. If you find the pH needs daily adjustment or the chlorine consumption suddenly spikes, post about it.

So finally got it filled and pump running smooth. I want to add Chems but a little worried. I got a ph of 7.2 and a TA OF 110. That's all i measured for now. It says to add 68oz. Of cya. Is this a normal amount as I have a 1.75lb tub that came with the pool that is large but won't be enough??? Just want to check I'm doing right before ruining a perfectly good thing. All help is appreciated

and do I literally put the stabilizer in a sock set in skimmer and let pump run?

Yep, go find a mismatched tube sock and fill it up with CYA. It is a little better to hang it in front of a return with the pump on. But, tossing it in the skimmer basket is OK too. Give it a squeeze a few times a day to help it dissolve faster.

Count, have you checked out Pool Math?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

There is a section at the bottom that will calculate the effects of chemicals. Pretty handy to have around.

Your pH is fine and will creep up since your TA is 110. Wait until it gets about 7.8ish then lower it with acid. Eventually, your pH and TA will find a sweet spot and level out.

Once you add your CYA in the sock, just assume it's there and then calculate how much bleach/chlorine to add for your CYA level.

It really is just that easy. Welcome! :wave:

Count, have you checked out Pool Math?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

There is a section at the bottom that will calculate the effects of chemicals. Pretty handy to have around.

Your pH is fine and will creep up since your TA is 110. Wait until it gets about 7.8ish then lower it with acid. Eventually, your pH and TA will find a sweet spot and level out.

Once you add your CYA in the sock, just assume it's there and then calculate how much bleach/chlorine to add for your CYA level.

It really is just that easy. Welcome! :wave:

Yes. That's where I got the calc. for cya bit dismt know there was an additional calculator on the page. Thank you. Just seemed like a lot of chems to put in but since it's new with nothing guess it's not too much in the scheme of things.

Yes. That's where I got the calc. for cya bit dismt know there was an additional calculator on the page. Thank you. Just seemed like a lot of chems to put in but since it's new with nothing guess it's not too much in the scheme of things.
I came up with 68 ounces of CYA as well. Obviously, you've realized that your pool won't be filled all the way to the top, so it's really closer to 4' deep and therefore 17000 gallons approximately. Remember, CYA is a one-time thing. You might lose some due to splashout but it won't be significant. You're done adding massive amounts of stuff.

pH can be fixed quickly with aeration. Or just be patient and it will creep up on its own.

Chlorine will be a daily thing so get used to it.

Calcium doesn't matter.

That's it. You're done. Pretty simple, really.

I came up with 68 ounces of CYA as well. Obviously, you've realized that your pool won't be filled all the way to the top, so it's really closer to 4' deep and therefore 17000 gallons approximately. Remember, CYA is a one-time thing. You might lose some due to splashout but it won't be significant. You're done adding massive amounts of stuff.

pH can be fixed quickly with aeration. Or just be patient and it will creep up on its own.

Chlorine will be a daily thing so get used to it.

Calcium doesn't matter.

That's it. You're done. Pretty simple, really.

Thats exactly what I thought also. Went with 17000 and just making sure as a little over 2 lbs. seemed like a lot. Thanks for the reply and I will start the Chem process today��

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Second day of testing.
Ph-7.3
FC-4
CH-125
TA-100
CC-0
cl-5
br-10

is it noral to see that much FC left after I added it yesterday around the same time. It was the first day with sock of cya and added more today as I didn't have enough on hand. It hasn't been sunny today and maybe 60 out. Thought all chlorine would be gone but now don't think I should add any?also have pump running on low but turned to high for about an hour after adding sock in front of return.also have solar cover on

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.