Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie w/ questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie w/ questions

Hello everyone!
    i am getting a new 27'x54" above ground pool installed in the next week or 2. I have been reading a lot here and thinking of going the BBB route. I purchased from American sale and its coming with a waterway filter and the frog system. They swear by it at the store and said customers love it. I've read mixed reviews on and want to start off the right way. My family has always had a pool growing up but I never maintained Chems so this is new to me. I just ordered the Taylor 2006 test kit am flooding for additional advice on getting started fresh. I am gonna test my water before filling to see how it shapes up. I'm really curious to know after initial fill up where do I go from there??? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Ron

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Newbie w/ questions

welcome Ron, you guessed right, throw that frog system out.. You will want to use bleach (liquid chlorine) or a SWG.. good job ordering your 2006, it will set you free from the pool store, unless you want floties

you can test your fill water and post here and then once you fill we can give you some info on what to do..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

It's easy to maintain a TFP pool when you're starting out fresh. Don't screw it up with a Frog system.

Here's my take on your situation. Fill it. Get the pump and filter running. When you have good circulation and no leaks, test the water. But don't waste reagents testing CYA -- tap water has none.

Adjust pH, then mess around with the sock and the CYA granules, and then add FC to get to 3. Safe to swim at that point, but likely too cold.
    Day 2, check pH again and adjust if needed. You will need the TA measurement to calculate dosage, but if pH is still good, don't bother. Test FC - it will probably be zero or close to it, which is normal -- and add more bleach to get to 3.
    Day 3, pH and FC again. The CYA should all be dissolved by then, so target an appropriate FC for your target CYA.
    Days 4-6, same thing.
    Day 7, check CYA too. See if you reached your target or overshot or if you nailed it. Now you have an actual CYA value to use for your FC target.

That's about it. Maintain FC and keep pH in range and enjoy. Like my signature says, it's like brushing your teeth. A minute or two every day is all it takes. It will soon be as mindless and routine as brushing your teeth. If you find the pH needs daily adjustment or the chlorine consumption suddenly spikes, post about it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi and what they said ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I LOVE that you have already done quite a bit of reading and got a test kit! I have some more "light" reading so you can learn the hows and whys of TFP. It is a LOT of info that will take reads and rereads as well as DOING to really sink in. After a while it will become second nature.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

So finally got it filled and pump running smooth. I want to add Chems but a little worried. I got a ph of 7.2 and a TA OF 110. That's all i measured for now. It says to add 68oz. Of cya. Is this a normal amount as I have a 1.75lb tub that came with the pool that is large but won't be enough??? Just want to check I'm doing right before ruining a perfectly good thing. All help is appreciated

and do I literally put the stabilizer in a sock set in skimmer and let pump run?
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Yep, go find a mismatched tube sock and fill it up with CYA. It is a little better to hang it in front of a return with the pump on. But, tossing it in the skimmer basket is OK too. Give it a squeeze a few times a day to help it dissolve faster.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Count, have you checked out Pool Math?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

There is a section at the bottom that will calculate the effects of chemicals. Pretty handy to have around.

Your pH is fine and will creep up since your TA is 110. Wait until it gets about 7.8ish then lower it with acid. Eventually, your pH and TA will find a sweet spot and level out.

Once you add your CYA in the sock, just assume it's there and then calculate how much bleach/chlorine to add for your CYA level.

It really is just that easy. Welcome!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post
    Count, have you checked out Pool Math?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

There is a section at the bottom that will calculate the effects of chemicals. Pretty handy to have around.

Your pH is fine and will creep up since your TA is 110. Wait until it gets about 7.8ish then lower it with acid. Eventually, your pH and TA will find a sweet spot and level out.

Once you add your CYA in the sock, just assume it's there and then calculate how much bleach/chlorine to add for your CYA level.

It really is just that easy. Welcome!

Yes. That's where I got the calc. for cya bit dismt know there was an additional calculator on the page. Thank you. Just seemed like a lot of chems to put in but since it's new with nothing guess it's not too much in the scheme of things.
    19k 15x36' inground oval vinyl lined pool with deep end. 3 returns , 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Countpyro1 View Post
    Yes. That's where I got the calc. for cya bit dismt know there was an additional calculator on the page. Thank you. Just seemed like a lot of chems to put in but since it's new with nothing guess it's not too much in the scheme of things.
    I came up with 68 ounces of CYA as well. Obviously, you've realized that your pool won't be filled all the way to the top, so it's really closer to 4' deep and therefore 17000 gallons approximately. Remember, CYA is a one-time thing. You might lose some due to splashout but it won't be significant. You're done adding massive amounts of stuff.

pH can be fixed quickly with aeration. Or just be patient and it will creep up on its own.

Chlorine will be a daily thing so get used to it.

Calcium doesn't matter.

That's it. You're done. Pretty simple, really.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I came up with 68 ounces of CYA as well. Obviously, you've realized that your pool won't be filled all the way to the top, so it's really closer to 4' deep and therefore 17000 gallons approximately. Remember, CYA is a one-time thing. You might lose some due to splashout but it won't be significant. You're done adding massive amounts of stuff.

pH can be fixed quickly with aeration. Or just be patient and it will creep up on its own.

Chlorine will be a daily thing so get used to it.

Calcium doesn't matter.

That's it. You're done. Pretty simple, really.

Thats exactly what I thought also. Went with 17000 and just making sure as a little over 2 lbs. seemed like a lot. Thanks for the reply and I will start the Chem process today��

11. Back To Top    #11

Second day of testing.
    Ph-7.3
    FC-4
    CH-125
    TA-100
    CC-0
    cl-5
    br-10

is it noral to see that much FC left after I added it yesterday around the same time. It was the first day with sock of cya and added more today as I didn't have enough on hand. It hasn't been sunny today and maybe 60 out. Thought all chlorine would be gone but now don't think I should add any?also have pump running on low but turned to high for about an hour after adding sock in front of return.also have solar cover on

12. Back To Top    #12

In the off-season, yes. Sometimes chlorine seems to last for days when the water's cold and it's cloudy outside.