Compliments to TFP!

robertmee

Jun 26, 2015
Raleigh
I was a new pool owner last year, and fortunately I found TFP before opening my pool and heading down the wrong path. I have religiously followed TFP methods since July of last year, even through the off season in NC (warm enough I kept pool going). I do have a SWG but I commissioned the pool with bleach, muratic acid, ash, etc. and since that time, have only had to add a little MA from time to time. I bought the TFTestkit as I live near them, and Rebecca even delivered some replacement chemicals to my wife in an emergency (mud in pool).

Anyway, to get to the point, shortly after the pool install, we began to develop some sizable craters under the liner due to the concrete collapsing. The pool company agreed to repair this season (doing so now), and replace with a new liner. The new liner is going in as we speak with water delivery this afternoon, but in talking to their main installer tech, he commented, that my pool is the cleanest pool he's ever seen, and the clearest water. I told him about TFP and how easy and inexpensive it is to maintain a pool.

So a shout out to everyone that helped me last year, and a congratulations to the methodology as a whole...when a pool company is envious, you know you're doing something right :)

So, water trucks just left, and here's what I was left with. Slam time again. This was from the fire hydrant a mile up the road at the Food Lion grocery where they fill up. This is CITY water! Yuck!! Glad we are on a well.

20160329_173621.jpg

I would not go right to a SLAM. It could look like that due to iron in the water and raising the FC level up high could end up staining the pool.

I would just get some CYA in the water, balance the pH, normal FC levels and a bunch of filtering to see if it clears up in a few days.

I was hesitant to put CYA in the water until it cleared up somewhat, otherwise, if I do have to slam, then I'm having to increase the bleach load significantly. SLAM levels with 0 CYA are 12 FC....My normal target since last year even with a SWG has been around 7 to 8 (I'm nervous about dropping to 5...that's with a CYA of 60ish) and my water has remained crystal clear. Would you suggest I diligently keep a target level of 7 to 8 for the next couple of days with 0 CYA and 24/7 filtering to see the effects? I did have to SLAM with the same water source from last year's fill, although that SLAM was compounded by a mud slide.

Also, vinyl liner pool....is that susceptible to metal staining? I didn't think so. I have all the ladders and hand rails removed.

Wow, that is some ugly water! It is OK to just raise CYA to 30 or 40 for the short term, especially since it isn't really hot and sunny yet. Just keep an eye on FC. You can run it above target and up to shock level if you want. Maybe keep it at 9 or 10 so you can test PH.

Nice job maintaining your pool! :thumleft:

I could faintly see the deep end drains even as green as it is, so maybe it is some metals? That sucks they filled my pool with metal. Wasn't like that from the same source last year :(

Incidentally, the water truck guy said it was phosphates the city adds to the water? They fill alot of the pools in the area. He said 2 years ago the city started adding phosphates to the water, I guess to fight lead?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, how quickly can metal staining occur? I'm nervous now, as I had already raised the FC to 12 prior to this info about possible metals. There's enough pollen and crud that blew into the pool and the sun is shining that I expect the FC to drop quickly to 8 by the morning with no CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.