Caretaker 99 Advice

Mar 28, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hello all. I've recently purchased my first house with an inground pool (or any pool for that matter) and am still trying to figure out how it was all setup originally. Part of that is the caretaker 99 in floor cleaning system. It's got floor jets all throughout the pool but when we turn the valve to the cleaning system they don't really pop up, but sort of just bubble.

I've done some research around the internet as well as on TFP (amazing resource by the way) and see that the caretaker has valves and rebuild kit and how to check pressure and all that.

Here's the questions:
-The caretaker dome is on the other side of the pool from the equipment. I've seen on videos that it should have a valve nearby but mine does not. The pipe does seem to split right next to it but I'm not sure how to be 100% that it's getting the pressure it needs. Could it be that overtime when the house changed hands, the valve was removed? Also worth mentioning the gauge reads 0, could maybe need replacing.
-I opened the union at the top to check the screen, its not there. Looking inside in fact I don't see anything. I can see the pipes running down the bottom of the plate. So obviously it needs the gear and valve assembly, no?
-I also noticed there were no screws in the side of the dome - does that cause a problem as well?

I appreciate any info or advice you could lend. It seems like the pool had a ton of features (automation, cleaning, in floor leaf vac, spa) but I'm trying to figure out what is still good and how to proceed!)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2046.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 91
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry for the delayed response, but not many members have experience with these systems.

1. I think it is odd for there to be a split in the pipe before the dome with no valves. Seems like that could bypass the cleaning system completely. You will likely want to replace the valve if the needle is not reading anything. The glycerin ones like tftestkits sells are really nice.

2. Sounds like you have a lot of missing parts for the system. Is there an alternate return to the pool like in the walls? I guess you need to decide if it is worth the money and risk to see if you can get the floor system working again.

3. I do not recall screws on the dome in my first house 7 years ago.

I think I would suggest getting the pool up and running and balanced (assuming you have wall returns) and then worry about the floor system. You could certainly get by without using it.

I would highly recommend investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits, the TF-100 being the best value so that you can maintain the chemistry properly.

We can certainly help you figure out the equipment and the chemical maintenance :goodjob:

Thanks for the reply!

There is a big drain cover in the wall, I assume it is plumbed with the floor system.

There are no other returns but there is an attached spa that overflows into the pool as the main return.

I thought it was weird there was a break with no valve near the dome. Glad I'm not crazy!

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

In this installation, maybe the horizontal line off the tee is where they originally plumbed in the pressure relief valve. It looks like there is a coupling between the tee and 90 fittings.

Can you posts pics of the equipment pad (from several different angles so we can see all the valves and equipment clearly)? You also mentioned it has (or used to have) an "in floor leaf vac". Pics of that and/or any other items associated with the pool would also be good. Try posting them to Photobucket and then copying the links from there and inserting into the tags here.

It's possible the pressure relief valve was removed around the same time the interior of the valve body was removed. Maybe the parts are in a storage area or garage? With pics of the equipment pad we can possibly help out more.

No parts anywhere in the house. It was clearly bank-owned then a flip, so I really don't know what they tried to do in regards to the pool equipment.

There's 2 pumps: 1 for the leaf vac that will rush a jet of water back into the pool or spa (I think for an spillover feature), and 1 for the skimmer or main drain OR spa main drain back to the spa jets or in floor system.

The pool has 3 drains on the bottom, 2 mains on the side and 1 in floor leaf vac & 1 on the side of the pool in the corner closest to the in floor system dome.

If the in floor system needs a valve re-plumbed near the dome, what part would need to go back in?

(Awful pipe clamp has been fixed since this photo)

Can we maybe get a pic of the writing on the rear most set of piping and also maybe a pic taken from the right side (near the pumps) looking toward the left? This will provide a better perspective of the entire plumbing layout and indication of what each labeled pipe says.

In the second to last pic, there is a valve handle laying on the ground. Is a valve missing a handle? Also, what is the black box looking item to the right of that handle? A closeup pic of that item might be good too.

As for the pressure relief valve I referenced, I believe it is placed somewhere on the pressure feed line to the cleaner dome. It is probably to bypass the cleaner valves in case the debris screen (which would be at the very top of the dome area) becomes blocked.

I would research online sources to see what the missing/needed parts would cost. Based on those costs and responses you get here may help you determine the best and most cost effective way forward.

Here's a link to what is possibly your in-floor leaf vac. They may have changed the design a little, but it will give you an idea of what you have. Scroll down and look under brochures and manuals. Appears from your pics that yours has 2 internal covers. Moving the tabs should allow removal of the covers and access to the leaf catcher bag inside. Move the tabs carefully as they may have become brittle.
Leaf-B-Gone

And here is one online retailer to reference for parts.
Buy Polaris Caretaker 99 Replacement Parts for Swimming Pool In-Floor Cleaning Systems

Looking at the above links should help determine what you have and give a rough idea of the cost to get it running. Also, the link to the leaf-b-gone will give insight into how it works.

Thanks for the info! We've gotten the leaf-b-gone up and running (replaced the bag) and are still pondering the parts for the in floor system. We have a ton of stuff to learn and ask to make improvements to the system and all that and I'm sure will post again - with a completed signature :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.