Thoughts on Raypak Heaters

Welcome to TFP if I haven't said so already.

Raypak consistently gets the best reviews, and recommendations from the Pool Pros around here. These seem to be number one, with Pentair at near equal or close second time and again. I'm on my third season with my RP, and like it a lot. It's actually a Rheem, but these are one in the same now for at least a few years. Good luck on your selection!

I have the RayPak heat pump. It lasted about 6 years then the refrigerant leaked out. I housing shows signs of slight rust. it held up very well I think. But I'm not going to try and repair it (I'm in FL and pool heater isn't really needed). I would buy another Raypak if I needed a heater.

I have the big raypak gas 400k btu , just replace it last year . My old raypak was bought in 1998 !!!!
It would have lasted but i did not replace a leaking sensor and it rusted out my burner tray.
I love the new heater and i think raypak is the way to go.
Some of my friends bougth other brands and have had a lot of trouble right off the bat.
My old raypak gave me 10 trouble free years, before i replaced anything.

I just replaced my RAYPAK 400K heater. It lasted only 5 years before the bottom rusted out. The control panel stopped showing up (a couple of digits stopped showing up). It also would not light - suspect the igniter stopped working because I have had to manually ignite it with a lighter everytime I tried to fire it up. Finally, it stopped completely last August, 2015. Was going to cost me over $800 to fix it so...I just bought a Hayward 265K and I installed it last week. It works very good so far, but it is early...

Best purchase I have made yet in the 3 years we have had a pool is replacing the expired 265K heater with a Raypak 400K heater.

To jump up to a 400k heater we had to upgrade the gas line to the house and pool at an added cost, but we offset the cost by buying the heater directly on the internet (losing warranty). One year in and we are very happy with this purchase. The pool heats much faster than with the previous heater and actually saves us money on gas because the heater doesn't have to run as long to get up to temperature. If we can get through the 2017 pool season without issues the warranty bet will have worked in our favor.

Interested in this as well. I don't know jack about heaters, but we are investigating heaters right now, as we'd like to extend our season. We had a PB give a quote on installing a Raypak P-R266A heater with an LP tank option (no gas lines in the back corner of our lot, so a 100 lb propane tank will have to suffice unless we move our pad).

I had the same recommendations (266k) from all the PBs in my area as well. I'm in MN so same climate as you (but weaker placekicking). They thought it was overkill to go with a 400k heater. It has only been a year now but my wife is in love with the upgrade from the 266k we had inherited. Well worth bucking the PBs on this one. Verdict is still out on my Circupool purchase however now that my model has been seemingly discontinued...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.