First time pool owner with questions on chemicals

Hi All,

We recently purchased a home in Melbourne Beach, FL. It is about 20k gallons and is all mosaic tile. We just got over an algae issue but the pool is still a bit cloudy (we were taking the water in to the pool store but somehow our chemicals must have drifted, the recent rain probably didnt help). I read this forum and purchased the TF-100 test kit with stirrer and here are our results. Any inputs on next steps on how we might clear up the pool would be most appreciated.

Here are the numbers:

FC 5.5
CC 1
Total Chlorine 6.5

Calcium hardness 175
Ph 7.2
TA 190
CYA 50

My biggest concern is that some of the tile grout appears to possibly be dissolving or being worn away somehow (standard type grout). I am imagining in the next year or two we will be replacing the grout with Laticrete Epoxy based grout. In the meantime I really want to make sure we aren't accelerating the process...

Any advice for next steps forward based on the numbers above?

Thanks,
Doug

Welcome to YFP Yellowtail,

I'm interested in your pH level first. Did you just add Acid to lower it? We usually do not focus on TA first, but yours is pretty high. Not all bad in your case, with the current CH level, but I haven't plugged in the numbers into the calculator for more detailed info. Did you ever test the water with any kit of your own before now?

Welcome to YFP Yellowtail,

I'm interested in your pH level first. Did you just add Acid to lower it? We usually do not focus on TA first, but yours is pretty high. Not all bad in your case, with the current CH level, but I haven't plugged in the numbers into the calculator for more detailed info. Did you ever test the water with any kit of your own before now?

Hi Patrick, yes we just added about a gallon of acid within the last day. We never tested the water with our own kit until now, my wife was taking it in to the pool store...
thanks, doug

It is probably most important to raise your CH level up to at least 250-300 to stop the water from taking calcium from your grout. More here on how to do that, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

We added 10 lbs of calcium chloride about 3 days ago, and now the CH is 275.

However, we are now high in PH and zero chlorine:

TC=0 (showing nothing)
PH=8.2
CH=275
TA=150
CYA = 30

Can anyone PLEASE recommend next steps? Looks like we need acid and chlorine, but you are the experts.

Thanks,
Doug

Okay, now's the time to add "regular" bleach ASAP! Your FC needs to stay around 4-5 based on your CYA of 30. Never let it drop below 3. Simply use muriatic acid to lower your pH back under 7.8 and you'll be fine. Leave the pump running for about 15 minutes between applications to mix real well the re-test.

PS - Don't forget to update your signature! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is very important to maintain your chlorine at target level for your CYA at all times. Chlorine CYA Chart. Letting your chlorine level drop below minimum will leave your pool unsanitary and algae will grow. Use the chart to determine your target chlorine level and use Poolmath to calculate how much bleach/liquid chlorine to add to reach your target. Test 15 minutes later to make sure the chlorine level is reached.

It is also very important to maintain your PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times, with 7.6 to 7.8 being ideal. PH out of the 7s will damage plaster, grout and pool equipment. Use Poolmath to target PH of 7.6 and add muriatic acid. Test again after 15 minutes to make sure PH of 7.6 was reached. If not, use Poolmath to calculate and add muriatic acid again. Repeat as needed until your PH holds at 7.6.

More here on managing your pool water, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You can add your pool info to your signature. It will help us to give you better advice specific to your pool. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.