Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner with questions on chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner with questions on chemicals

Hi All,

We recently purchased a home in Melbourne Beach, FL. It is about 20k gallons and is all mosaic tile. We just got over an algae issue but the pool is still a bit cloudy (we were taking the water in to the pool store but somehow our chemicals must have drifted, the recent rain probably didnt help). I read this forum and purchased the TF-100 test kit with stirrer and here are our results. Any inputs on next steps on how we might clear up the pool would be most appreciated.

Here are the numbers:

FC 5.5
    CC 1
    Total Chlorine 6.5

Calcium hardness 175
    Ph 7.2
    TA 190
    CYA 50

My biggest concern is that some of the tile grout appears to possibly be dissolving or being worn away somehow (standard type grout). I am imagining in the next year or two we will be replacing the grout with Laticrete Epoxy based grout. In the meantime I really want to make sure we aren't accelerating the process...

Any advice for next steps forward based on the numbers above?

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner with questions on chemicals

Welcome to YFP Yellowtail,

I'm interested in your pH level first. Did you just add Acid to lower it? We usually do not focus on TA first, but yours is pretty high. Not all bad in your case, with the current CH level, but I haven't plugged in the numbers into the calculator for more detailed info. Did you ever test the water with any kit of your own before now?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi neighbor! We will get your water balanced and work on your grout.

So you are saying your have an all tile pool??? I would LOVE to see it please!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Welcome to YFP Yellowtail,

I'm interested in your pH level first. Did you just add Acid to lower it? We usually do not focus on TA first, but yours is pretty high. Not all bad in your case, with the current CH level, but I haven't plugged in the numbers into the calculator for more detailed info. Did you ever test the water with any kit of your own before now?
    Hi Patrick, yes we just added about a gallon of acid within the last day. We never tested the water with our own kit until now, my wife was taking it in to the pool store...
    thanks, doug

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Hi neighbor! We will get your water balanced and work on your grout.

So you are saying your have an all tile pool??? I would LOVE to see it please!

Kim
    Hi Kim,

Thanks. Yes the pool is all tile, it is beautiful. If you're local you can stop by sometime, we are near Surf ave... Hopefully we can get the water cleared up soon.

Thanks,
    Doug

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome! With a CC reading of 1.0, please retest FC and CC again. If your CC is above 0.5, please read up on this: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

7. Back To Top    #7

Not local at all...........well I am "up the road" but it would be a couple of hours drive LOL

You can share pictures here. Use photo bucket with the img tag and they should be right in the post.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

It is probably most important to raise your CH level up to at least 250-300 to stop the water from taking calcium from your grout. More here on how to do that, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    It is probably most important to raise your CH level up to at least 250-300 to stop the water from taking calcium from your grout. More here on how to do that, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    We added 10 lbs of calcium chloride about 3 days ago, and now the CH is 275.

However, we are now high in PH and zero chlorine:

TC=0 (showing nothing)
    PH=8.2
    CH=275
    TA=150
    CYA = 30

Can anyone PLEASE recommend next steps? Looks like we need acid and chlorine, but you are the experts.

Thanks,
    Doug

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay, now's the time to add "regular" bleach ASAP! Your FC needs to stay around 4-5 based on your CYA of 30. Never let it drop below 3. Simply use muriatic acid to lower your pH back under 7.8 and you'll be fine. Leave the pump running for about 15 minutes between applications to mix real well the re-test.

PS - Don't forget to update your signature!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

It is very important to maintain your chlorine at target level for your CYA at all times. Chlorine CYA Chart. Letting your chlorine level drop below minimum will leave your pool unsanitary and algae will grow. Use the chart to determine your target chlorine level and use Poolmath to calculate how much bleach/liquid chlorine to add to reach your target. Test 15 minutes later to make sure the chlorine level is reached.

It is also very important to maintain your PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times, with 7.6 to 7.8 being ideal. PH out of the 7s will damage plaster, grout and pool equipment. Use Poolmath to target PH of 7.6 and add muriatic acid. Test again after 15 minutes to make sure PH of 7.6 was reached. If not, use Poolmath to calculate and add muriatic acid again. Repeat as needed until your PH holds at 7.6.

More here on managing your pool water, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You can add your pool info to your signature. It will help us to give you better advice specific to your pool. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach