Pump motor throwing sparks, need help identifying correct replacement motor.

Apr 27, 2015
Flowood, MS
I turned on my pump for the first time this spring and sparks/smoke immediately started popping out of the dry end near the wiring. I had the local pool techs come out and they said the motor is locked up. They want $500 to replace/install the motor. From a quick search on my model number, ST1102, it looks like the motor can be had for $150 on Amazon- Century Electric UST1102 plus the shaft seal for another $10. The shaft seal was replaced last summer so not sure if that is needed (might as well I guess). I just wanted to make sure that is all I need to complete the motor replacement and that I am purchasing the right parts. Basically, I need to make sure there isn't a special reason they want an extra $340 to replace the motor. Here are the pics of the labels on the motor:

Pump Label 1
Pump Label 2

Thanks so much for the help on this problem and thanks for getting me through the last few summers/SLAMs!

well ya, there is a major reason, they want money :) it will always be more expensive to have someone lese do it. they will have insurance, warranty, training and so on... if you can change it out go for it :)

as for the motor itself, it looks correct to me, but I am not a motor guy :)

I would recommend considering an upgrade to a 2-speed version of your motor and save yourself some $ on electricity in the future.

I am quite mechanical but the wiring portion scares me a bit. Will a 2-speed require modification to the wiring at my timer/switch? I have a hot water heater timer as the timer/switch mechanism currently. Thanks for the advice and assistance.

It is possible for some motors to buy a manual switch that mounts on the end cap of the motor for you to select the speed. Alternatively, a house 3-way light switch is a good option that can be wired between the timer and the motor, but there would be some minor wiring changes.

No problem. If you decide to proceed with a 2-speed, I am sure we can help you with the wiring, it is really not much more difficult than disconnecting and hooking up a new single speed.

Alternatively, a house 3-way light switch is a good option that can be wired between the timer and the motor, but there would be some minor wiring changes.

Way cool idea!

I know when I almost upgraded to 2-speed (my pump is near new so waiting on that) the add on speed switch itself was $ 40 from the motor seller.

That seems awfully high.

ST1102 and UST1102 are two different motors. The "U" stands for uprated therefor the UST1102 is a smaller motor. Don't forget the housing gasket as well, I believe this is a Hayward Super II pump? If so there's a seal kit available with all the gaskets and the mechanical seal.

GL!

Joel,

Thanks for that info. I found another one on amazon for $157 but in the description is says ST1103 instead of ST1102 so I'm not too keen on buying that one either. Do you or JBlizzle have a preferred online store that I should check? I really want to get the right equipment.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's no such thing as a ST1103, it has to be a typo, as long as it's a 1hp with a 1.5sf you should be good. I don't buy off the internet so I really don't have any insight on reputable vendors. I do see a lot of people buying from Amazon though.

GL!

That is a Superpump, shaft seal should be the same regardless.

Got the motor and seal kit ordered. The amazon seller jacked the price from $157 to $191 since yesterday.... I bought the one with the correct Service Factor and not the uprated version. Saving $300 over the pool store price so that's good! It's coming on standard shipping so I will update the post when I get everything in and start the installation.

Thanks again for all of the help. This is a great forum/community!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.