Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump motor throwing sparks, need help identifying correct replacement motor.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump motor throwing sparks, need help identifying correct replacement motor.

I turned on my pump for the first time this spring and sparks/smoke immediately started popping out of the dry end near the wiring. I had the local pool techs come out and they said the motor is locked up. They want $500 to replace/install the motor. From a quick search on my model number, ST1102, it looks like the motor can be had for $150 on Amazon- Century Electric UST1102 plus the shaft seal for another $10. The shaft seal was replaced last summer so not sure if that is needed (might as well I guess). I just wanted to make sure that is all I need to complete the motor replacement and that I am purchasing the right parts. Basically, I need to make sure there isn't a special reason they want an extra $340 to replace the motor. Here are the pics of the labels on the motor:

Pump Label 1
    Pump Label 2

Thanks so much for the help on this problem and thanks for getting me through the last few summers/SLAMs!
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pump motor throwing sparks, need help identifying correct replacement motor.

well ya, there is a major reason, they want money it will always be more expensive to have someone lese do it. they will have insurance, warranty, training and so on... if you can change it out go for it

as for the motor itself, it looks correct to me, but I am not a motor guy
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump motor throwing sparks, need help identifying correct replacement motor.

I would recommend considering an upgrade to a 2-speed version of your motor and save yourself some $ on electricity in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I would recommend considering an upgrade to a 2-speed version of your motor and save yourself some $ on electricity in the future.
    I am quite mechanical but the wiring portion scares me a bit. Will a 2-speed require modification to the wiring at my timer/switch? I have a hot water heater timer as the timer/switch mechanism currently. Thanks for the advice and assistance.
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

5. Back To Top    #5

It is possible for some motors to buy a manual switch that mounts on the end cap of the motor for you to select the speed. Alternatively, a house 3-way light switch is a good option that can be wired between the timer and the motor, but there would be some minor wiring changes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Jblizzle.
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

7. Back To Top    #7

No problem. If you decide to proceed with a 2-speed, I am sure we can help you with the wiring, it is really not much more difficult than disconnecting and hooking up a new single speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Alternatively, a house 3-way light switch is a good option that can be wired between the timer and the motor, but there would be some minor wiring changes.
    Way cool idea!

I know when I almost upgraded to 2-speed (my pump is near new so waiting on that) the add on speed switch itself was $ 40 from the motor seller.

That seems awfully high.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

ST1102 and UST1102 are two different motors. The "U" stands for uprated therefor the UST1102 is a smaller motor. Don't forget the housing gasket as well, I believe this is a Hayward Super II pump? If so there's a seal kit available with all the gaskets and the mechanical seal.

GL!

10. Back To Top    #10

Joel,

Thanks for that info. I found another one on amazon for $157 but in the description is says ST1103 instead of ST1102 so I'm not too keen on buying that one either. Do you or JBlizzle have a preferred online store that I should check? I really want to get the right equipment.

Thanks!
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

There's no such thing as a ST1103, it has to be a typo, as long as it's a 1hp with a 1.5sf you should be good. I don't buy off the internet so I really don't have any insight on reputable vendors. I do see a lot of people buying from Amazon though.

GL!

12. Back To Top    #12

This is the pump in question, Pump. It does have the 1.5sf and the rest of the info in the description seems to line up. I am going to take some pictures of the pump housing tonight to help verify the model so I can get the correct gaskets/seals needed.
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok here is the picture of my hayward pump. Can anyone tell if it is a superpump I or II? My main concern is getting the correct gaskets and shaft seal. Thanks again for helping.
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380

14. Back To Top    #14

That is a Superpump, shaft seal should be the same regardless.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

That is a Superpump, shaft seal should be the same regardless.

Got the motor and seal kit ordered. The amazon seller jacked the price from $157 to $191 since yesterday.... I bought the one with the correct Service Factor and not the uprated version. Saving $300 over the pool store price so that's good! It's coming on standard shipping so I will update the post when I get everything in and start the installation.

Thanks again for all of the help. This is a great forum/community!
    24,000 Gal
    Hayward Pump
    Polaris Booster Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 380