Pump Plug

Jul 13, 2015
PA
Bought our house last May that has a 15x30 above ground pool. Caught on here, got hooked up on the BBB method, had a great year of swimming after replacing the neglected and defective sand filter/pump. Pool pump was run on extension cord all last year as that is how it was previously set up.

I wasn't ever crazy about the electrical cord, mostly the annoyance factor of dealing with it during mowing. So I said for this year, I would get the outlet moved to where the equipment resides- just outside of my pool. So after a crash course education on the NEC codes, I understand that this is a bigger undertaking than just moving the outlet from my outer garage wall to closer to the equipment. Bonding, etc is understood and not that big of an issue for me to accomplish. What I didn't find a clear answer to was if I could modify the pump plug to the twist lock so that I can be at the 6ft mark per NEC?

If I cant, and have to go out the 10ft, its going to require me to move my equipment and the 1 1/4 "flexible" pvc hose that hooks it all up which will render the rear corner of my property an even bigger pain to mow and even just use.

Can I change the plug to twist lock? Modifying the plug feels like it would probably be a no no.

Yard isnt huge to begin with and would hate to lose the space. Would my only other option be to move the equipment the 10ft out and pipe the plumbing underground to the pool?

Thanks all! Hoping for an enjoyable and safer year two

I am not sure on the plug question, so will defer. My gut says your should be able to switch the plug type, but my gut may not be to code ;)

If you do have to move the equipment, I would certainly suggest switching to hard PVC out of the filter and run that underground over to the pool and hook back into the rest of the plumbing. Hard plumbing and getting rid of the flex hoses can offer a decent improvement in your flow rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.