New to TFP from Houston, Tx

Mar 28, 2016
houston, tx
Hi,

I just purchased a used home with a pool. The previous owner had a pool cleaner full service weekly. Well, I'm not about to waste anymore money on them and let them go today after observing them for one month. All he was doing was netting out debris, empty skimmer basket, empty pump filter, and adding one chlorine tablet each time. I'm sorry, but I can do all that and save me $45/wk.
The first day he came, pool was somewhat green with FC of 0. All he did was put in 2 tablets. I took water sample test at Leslies and they say he should have shocked my pool. How can putting in a couple of tablets bring my FC up? Tablets only maintain FC right?
He was also quick to tell me that I had a water leak the first day since he never seen the water that low before. Little did he know the previous owner had moved out over a month and wasn't filling the pool weekly. I verified by doing the bucket test and its from evaporation.
Also, he jumped to conclusion that my chlorinator was broken. I adjusted some return valve and chlorinator works just fine.

For now, I'll put in 1/2 pound a shock a week and 2 tablets. That should keep my FC up. It's blue now and last test FC was at 2.0.

15K gallons pool.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, How much gas money do you think it cost from the water heater to operate the Spa for about one hour? My brother say $50 each time. I say $10 or less. I looked at my gas meter while spa is on and it's spinning fast! I compared by turning all four gas burner from my stove and didn't spin anything like that. Probably about a quarter time slower compared to the spa.

Hi greddy! I saw your other quick post on another's thread. Glad to have you with us. I suspect you will pick-up quite a few tips from us, and hopefully appreciate the money and time saved towards your pool. The question on your other post was about how often to replace your filter cartridge. So if you don't' have any other questions, I'd simply suggest taking a look at these pages for now:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

There's more, but thse are good places to start. Be careful with those tablets/pucks! They'll shoot your CYA through the roof. Nice to have you with us.

Welcome again!!!

Please realize that on this forum we prefer members to start a thread for their own questions to avoid confusion. I addressed your first post where it was since it was a quick question, but happy to see you started your own thread here :goodjob:

I am afraid that the path you are on is destined to failure, BUT you found us and we can certainly teach you to maintain better water in your pool for less money!!!

All those tablets and powders are not helping and likely hurting you (by adding CYA and/or CH to your pool ... both of which can easily get too high and require water replacement). Reading the links that Texas Splash provided will get you started.

And an absolute must to get you off on the right foot, is to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. We have to know what is the pool to know how to proceed.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Regarding your spa question ... depends on your spa size, water start and desired temps, and gas cost ;)

Assuming 500 gallons and wanting a 20 degree rise, that is 83 kBTUs required to heat it (not counting losses to environment or maintaining the temp). That is 0.8 CCF ... so that might only be a couple bucks. I think it would be less than $10 to heat the spa for an hour.

Welcome again!!!

Please realize that on this forum we prefer members to start a thread for their own questions to avoid confusion. I addressed your first post where it was since it was a quick question, but happy to see you started your own thread here :goodjob:

I am afraid that the path you are on is destined to failure, BUT you found us and we can certainly teach you to maintain better water in your pool for less money!!!

All those tablets and powders are not helping and likely hurting you (by adding CYA and/or CH to your pool ... both of which can easily get too high and require water replacement). Reading the links that Texas Splash provided will get you started.

And an absolute must to get you off on the right foot, is to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. We have to know what is the pool to know how to proceed.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks I will read up on the links and post in correct area as needed.