Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost all chlorine overnight?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lost all chlorine overnight?

Hey guys, I have been reading a few posts and parts of the pool school and have decided after $180 at Leslie's and still a green pool that I am going to try this myself. Last week I had a full test at Leslie's and they found my CYA to be 20. I was prescribed 3 pounds of conditioner in a 19,000 gallon pool which I added a couple days ago. I have not yet been back for a water check, but started my shock process based off of what I think I have figured out here. Last night around 6 pm I was registering over 10 FC (My K-2006 is on order and not yet here so I don't know exact levels). This morning I checked with my standard kit and can not even get chlorine to register. Is it normal to lose that kind of chlorine overnight? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

signature test...
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Lost all chlorine overnight?

yes that is normal, because you really have no idea what your dealing with.. The pool store numbers are probably so far off that you really do not know what you have..

I wish you would not have put that CYA in the pool, they said CYA 20 but it could have been well over 100 depending on what you used to chlorinate.. don't worry, we will get you going now that you found us

Just put 1 gallon of bleach in your pool dailly unitl your k-2006 arrives and we can get good numbers. all this will do is keep the algae where it is and hopefully wont get any worse..

- - - Updated - - -

I see your signiture

Also, what did you use to chlorinate you pool up till now?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

If there is a lot of organics in your pool, then that is certainly possible. I would not do much until you get your test kit in. Did you get the C version? If not, you are going to run out of the FAS-DPD reagents before you finish the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

So, you should order refills sooner than later. Here is one source: FAS-DPD Chlorine Test
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

^^ Ditto! ^^ Casey's got you hooked-up with the perfect advice until that kit arrives. Try to stay patient until it gets in, and use this time to brush-up on the important references and links you see in our signatures. We'll help you better when you can post your OWN test numbers. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK thanks Casey. I would not be surprised if the CYA was low, I lost chlorine pretty rapidly last summer which was my first year with the pool and only for a couple of months of swim season. My algae has gotten better from where it was but I think my filters are pretty shot, so I have some replacements being delivered today -- hopefully that helps as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Tex, your signature was actually my inspiration for trying this on my own... I found it on several threads I was browsing!
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Your filters a probably just fine, but another set is not a bad thing... the rreason you think your filters are shot is because all the algae is clogging them... once you get the new ones, pop them in there and clean the ones you have now, when your filter rpessure raises 25% then change to the other set of filters... continue doing this untill you SLAM is over
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Jason: the kit I ordered is this one: Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden ... and yes, there has been a lot of organic material in the pool. I have a big tree by my pool that basically dumped half of itself in the pool during fall and by the time I could get to the leaves, it was already too late to see the bottom. I got an electronic leaf rake and my Polaris hasn't been picking up much lately, so I think I have that under control, but this algae has had a smorgasbord for some time now. Basically when I started the water was emerald green and I couldn't even see my first step. Now it is more like a steel blue and I can see my pool sweep in the shallow ends although murky. I am hoping the new filters will take out the dead stuff so I can really tell what I am working with.

Casey: before now I would use liquid chlorine and PoolRx

Thanks guys

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

that is awesome on the liquid chlorine, that makes me feel much better in regards to CYA... The PoolRX is not something you want to use, it is putting metals in you pool and you do not want that...

Now the bad part, the k-2006 may but probably not get you through this SLAM... you will use a lot of reagents during testing... it is a good kit, that is 1 we recomend it is just small, it would be fine if you were not dealing with a green monster..

I can't remeber if the TF100 xl option will work with your kit.. someone will be along and see this and let you know

9. Back To Top    #9

I would think that for the SLAM itself, perhaps have an extra (XL option) of R-0870 (powder) and R-0871 (drops) handy to conduct your numerous/elevated FC tests and you should be fine. Most other tests come to a halt during the SLAM anyways. But instead of the Taylor (25mm) instructions, use the 10 ml testing to help make the reagents last longer.

10ml sample, multiply drop count by .5 (standard method) - saves a bit on reagent
    25ml sample, multiply drop count by .2 (used for extreme precision) - reagent goes faster
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

That kit is fine, just short on a few of the reagents. I would order the FAS-DPD reagents (The XL option will work fine) and the CYA reagent.

And a SpeedStir if you can swing it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you guys know how fast TF Testkits ships? I went with the k-2006 because it was on Amazon and I can get it in a couple days. I can cancel the Amazon order but don't want to wait a week to get working.

12. Back To Top    #12

They are fast to ship, but you are on the opposite side of the country

poolsupplyworld.com is a west coast distributor for the TF-100, but they do not have the XL option. You could get the TF-100 from them and order extra FAS-DPD refills from tftestkits and you would have them by the time you need them.

Or just go with the K2006 you have on order and add the refills.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Taylor is in, here are the results!

I merged your threads together. Please keep related discussion together. Thanks, jblizzle

Hi all. I just received my Taylor and got straight to testing. It was actually a lot less intimidating than I thought it would be and actually kind of fun. I posted a thread a few days ago about the green pool I am battling. Here are the results:

FC: Did not register
    PH: < 7
    TA: 80
    CH: 325
    CYA: 50-55

At the advice of Leslie's I added some conditioner last weekend as I was < 20. Looks like that is in decent shape now, but I still cannot keep chlorine. I see that my PH is way out of whack, is it best to start there or get to SLAMing?

Thanks,

Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

Re: Taylor is in, here are the results!

Just for fun, this is what my pool looked like 2 weeks ago... mosquito larvae bed!!:

And here it is after about $200 at Costco and Leslie's:

1NXZzUW.jpg

15. Back To Top    #15

You should really raise the pH to around 7.2 with borax or soda ash, and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Have you played with PoolMath yet?

Have you ordered the refills yet?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi JB, thanks for merging my thread. I have ordered the refills, should be here this weekend. Should I wait to SLAM until I have the reagents? I think I should have enough FC tests in a fresh kit to get me through the weekend if needed, right?

17. Back To Top    #17

You can certainly get started. What you have should last awhile, we just know you will be low or out by the time you complete the SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Sounds good, off to Leslie's Target I go!!

19. Back To Top    #19

Borax would be best.

20. Back To Top    #20

That is what I added Marian. Just got back inside from adding the correct shock levels of bleach. I am going to let the pump run over night, hoping I still have some chlorine levels tomorrow morning.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast