Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often does a cartridge filter need cleaning?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often does a cartridge filter need cleaning?

I have a Jandy 450 SQ cartridge for my roughly 15K gallon pool here in north Texas. Last time I cleaned the filter was in October. I was told the PSI would increase over time and when it went from the 10PSI post last cleaning to roughly 20PSI I would need to clean the filter again. After leaving the pool open all winter ( and swimming at least once a week at least down to the low 50s ) It is still reading at 10PSI when the pump is running.

We don't get a lot of leaves ( maybe 20 all winter ) and the skimmers are usually empty in the mornings and typically end up only needing to be cleaned at most twice a week. So is this normal to go this long without having to clean my filters? Or should I be doing it anyways periodically?
    In Ground 17X29 90 ft perimeter; 3.5 to 5 depth; 15,000 gallons, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Jandy stealth 1.5 HP 2 speed, Jandy 450 SQ cartridge, Jandy JXi 400K BTU NG, POLARIS 280 W/ HP booster pump, North Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often does a cartridge filter need cleaning?

I clean mine twice a year. As long as your pressure is steady at 10 and no other parameters have changed you should be good to go.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

3. Back To Top    #3

TriPool, the first thing I would suggest is to give your gauge a few "love taps" to make sure it's not stuck. Those factory gauges will do that and go bad without warning. How is your output pressure at the return jets? Do they feel firm and strong? If your filter was extremely clogged or dirty, you might suspect a slightly lower return pressure if detectable.

You and I may have similar situations. I use a Hayward single cartridge filter set-up. Modest in size really, but works fine for my pool at just under 18K. Now that my water has been TFP clear for a couple years, the cleaning has slowed way down. Still, I make it a habit to hose it off about once a month. Not a lot of tress, but general debris and bugs that start to build-up over time, and dirt can settle in the bottom of the filter housing. Since it's a single cartridge, it's easy to clean which is good peace of mind since my (factory) filter gauge doesn't really move all that much. After a good cleaning, my baseline (clean) pressure is only about 6, and I clean it when it rises to about 10 (20-25% increase). When this gauge goes bad, I'll try one of the glycerin-filled gauges from TFTTestkits.com. It may give better/more accurate readings.

Having said all of that, if your filter is not a single cartridge, but multiple, then you can easily spread your cleanings out further apart. Folks with quad filters may only clean once or twice each year.

That's my story. You can compare it to yours and some others who will reply. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

As Texas Splash stated, we recommend cleaning any type of filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. And at least once a year.

Waiting for a 10psi rise is usually much too long as the flow rate becomes drastically lower.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 to the annual tear down and clean as it is critical to PM a filter annually to make sure the internals are all good.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

100% agree, I clean mine once a year
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Ditto, once per year cleaning. Advantage of a large filter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

What that being asked, How often do you recommend changing/replacing the filters? My filter guage showing 10% AFTER cleaning. Guess it needs to replaced or cleaned better? I'm a new to a used pool. When I cleaned the cartridge for the first time, it looked horrific. Looks like it was not clean for over a year. Cleaning caused gauge to drop from 20 to 10.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by greddy09sc View Post
    What that being asked, How often do you recommend changing/replacing the filters? My filter guage showing 10% AFTER cleaning. Guess it needs to replaced or cleaned better? I'm a new to a used pool. When I cleaned the cartridge for the first time, it looked horrific. Looks like it was not clean for over a year. Cleaning caused gauge to drop from 20 to 10.
    Welcome to TFP!!

You misunderstand. Your filter gauge is showing 10psi. You should clean it when it rises to 12-13psi ... not waiting until 20psi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I agree, mine after cleaning is at 13 psi on high and I clean when it reaches 15 psi, that just happens to be once a year because it never reaches 15 psi
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

As for replacing cartridge filters, my first set lasted me 10 years so you if you take care of them, they will last a good long time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Ive only had my pool since last summer. My PB said 3X a year to prolong my filters but to absolutely do it - if my gauge raises (I have it set to show me when it raises however much past the start pressure). I just cleaned mine for the first time last month - the pressure reading was FINE - but they were DIRTY - and when I finished - I have SO much more movement in my water! I plan on doing it 3X a year. Spring/Summer/Fall
    ~Wendy
    33'X17' Sports Pool (3'6"-5'-4'6") 7' flush Spa, Blue Granite PT, Waterfalls, Weeping Wall, Baja Ledge and Doggie Beach Entry! Pentair Clean and Clear 420, IntelliFlo XF Pump, SuperFlo 1.5 HP Feature Pump, MasterTemp Heater, Pal-Treo LEDs, Dolphin M4, Liquid Chlorine & TF-100 - My Build Thread

13. Back To Top    #13

Twice a year for me. It is nice to have 2 sets of filter cartriges, just install the new then clean the used ones, I usually TSP soak, rince, then muratic acid to remove any calcium. Last time I skipped the acid since I couldnt see many bubbles on the previous soakings. My original set will be 5 years old in may.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks all, sounds like it is reasonable for my filter to not be to clogged after 6 months since I don't have a lot of debris. The gauge is fine, it moves around when I change the pump speed so that doesn't appear to be an issue. Either way it is probably worthwhile cleaning at least once a year. Sounds like I may kick it off some time soon just to see how things look.
    In Ground 17X29 90 ft perimeter; 3.5 to 5 depth; 15,000 gallons, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Jandy stealth 1.5 HP 2 speed, Jandy 450 SQ cartridge, Jandy JXi 400K BTU NG, POLARIS 280 W/ HP booster pump, North Texas

15. Back To Top    #15

Your filter is oversized for your pool volume just as mine is. I have a 340 sq/ft filter on a 13,500 gallon pool. The last time I cleaned was last May and I waited two years due to very little rise in pressure. Below is a link to my last cleaning with pictures of the cleaning process. What I learned is clean it once a year even if you dont hit the 25% mark.

2 years since filter cleaning and SWCG inspection. How does it look?
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!