A few things before installing the Liquidator

Jun 22, 2011
Knoxville, TN
We're about 3-4 weeks from opening and we're finally prepping the Liquidator for installation. I know my pool size is right on the cusp of bigger pools for the Liquidator, but we've done the chlorine testing for the last 18 months (ish) and the numbers should work out. Push comes to shove - we install, we hate, we remove.

Here's my dilemma: The only spot to place the liquidator will get full sun from about 9a-3p. We all know what sun does to chlorine. And since we need every bit of that chlorine for the Liquidator to work properly... I'm wondering if I should somehow cover the darn thing.

I've seen people recommend painting them - which seems like a hassle. I was thinking of making it a little jacket out of the reflective insulation used in garage doors.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Lastly - we are running old school equipment - the pump isn't a VS (and is likely on it's last season - it sounds like a diesel truck running). We typically run it 24/7 but we're contemplating putting in a timer this year too. I'm assuming that if we keep up with the currently habit of running the pump 24/7 - we're going to CHEW thru chlorine - even with the Liquidator turned down low?

Thanks!!

More so, you'll chew threw more energy than Chlorine. I've not put in Automated Chlorine feed for that very reason, so I can't offer much there. Any shade or sheilding would be helpful, but the heat is hard to combat. Certainly taking UV out of the equation is a good thing.

I would shelter/cover it somehow that suits you, but do work on getting the pump run time down. You can get away with far less, even if you have to cut it off manually. No need to run 24/7.

There was a thread recently if someone burying a 55 gallon plastic tank for a Stenner pump setup to avoid heat and sun exposure.

Can you bury it?

I've got a 28K gallon pool and used the 8 gallon version without problems.
Do whatever you can to shade if from the sun, I painted mine, but it's behind the north side of my shed and pretty much out of direct sun light.
I have a single speed pump and run it around six hours a day, I added a pinch valve to better control the flow rate. It may get the flow down low enough for you to run 24 / 7 but as Patrick said your bigger concern should be the amount of energy used.

Mine will be installed in full sun as well. I'm going to use fencing or lattice to shade my liquidator, possibly install additional plants around it. Just reduce the flow rate to accommodate the pump run time you want. My
System runs for 12 hrs a day and with my old chlorine feeder I just turned it down low. Plan on the same for the liquidator.

So - small update: Hubby decided to build the Liquidator its own box. I was happy with the idea of just taping some reflective insulation to the thing, but he went the carpentry direction. Hoping to install something in the next week. We just opened a week ago and we're still trying to get the water stabilized.

One thing I didn't take into account: the neighbor behind us cut down about 5 trees that used to provide some mid/late afternoon shade on the pool. I didn't realize just how much shade those maples provided until last week! I'm dealing with a whole new pool chemistry situation! UGH!!

Originally, it didn't look like a new pump was in the budget but when we fired it up this year.. it sounds HORRIBLY LOUD. I don't even think its a brand name - it's like a construction grade pump! So.. I'm on the hunt for a new pump too.... time to pop over to the equipment threads and see what everyone is buying these days...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.