Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to know if Cartridges are bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to know if Cartridges are bad?

I have an old neglected StaRite 3 cartridge system. How do I know when I should replace the cartridges? Do I replace both of them at the same time or only the inner vs outer (is one a pre-filter for the other)?

Per the pressure gauge on top (its a new one), the system is about 3 PSI when 'clean' and 5 PSI when I typically empty it. This is a new gauge that maxes out at ~15PSI.

Note that I have 1.5" intake & returns, so that may impact expected PSI rates. When I kick on the booster cleaner pump, the PSI drops by 1-1.5PSI or so. Per the flow check valve, it runs about 40GPM.

Thanks for the help on this great site!
    21K gal Plaster I/G | 1/2 HP Sta Rite main pump |StaRite 3 300 sqft cartridge |
    Ancient Kreepy Krauly Legend | 3/4 HP A.O. Smith Century Pressure Pump|Solar Pool Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How to know if Cartirdges are bad?

the only time you "need" to change them is if they are ripped or the plastic is seperated on the bottom and top of the filter.. This all depends on you really, the outer filter if really dirty and a TSP cleaning does not bring it back to new it can be changed..

If you want to get new one's that is fine but you dont have to

****thanks Mark****

I changed TSP cleaning
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you tried a TSP soak and then an acid soak?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Have you tried a TSP soak and then an acid soak?
    I have not gone the TSP path & Acid soak yet.
    I've had good results with a good hose out followed by 24hr Cascade soak + Borax mix - but not acid.
    I didn't have a good container for the big ole Sta Rite 3 cartridge. I do now. It is a nested cartridge style filter. The inner cartridge has some discoloration around the top 1/3 or so (where it sticks above the larger cartridge).

Based on conversations with the previous homeowner, these cartridges could be more than 10 years old...she has no idea when they were replaced.

After my latest activities (AA treat + pool opening + SLAM), I was going to head that route. I wonder if this is why my mustard algae kept coming back.

What do people do with the acid water?

@mas985 - what brand is your 2sp pump?
    Ancient Kreepy Krauly Legend | 3/4 HP A.O. Smith Century Pressure Pump|Solar Pool Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by VTSoundman View Post
    I have not gone the TSP path & Acid soak yet.
    I've had good results with a good hose out followed by 24hr Cascade soak + Borax mix - but not acid.
    I didn't have a good container for the big ole Sta Rite 3 cartridge. I do now. It is a nested cartridge style filter. The inner cartridge has some discoloration around the top 1/3 or so (where it sticks above the larger cartridge).

Based on conversations with the previous homeowner, these cartridges could be more than 10 years old...she has no idea when they were replaced.

After my latest activities (AA treat + pool opening + SLAM), I was going to head that route. I wonder if this is why my mustard algae kept coming back.

What do people do with the acid water?

Disregard question about the acidic water...duh...can just use some baking soda to neutralize. I do this with car batteries, why not this? heh...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by VTSoundman View Post
    It's a Northstar wet end with a SuperPump 2 speed motor. AKA "Frankenpump"
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: How to know if Cartridges are bad?

If you do decide to get new cartridges for your filter check out Pleatco. I am very happy with mine, as are others. They have better flow, easier clean up, last longer between cleanings and they're cheaper!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

^^^^ 100% agree, I love my pleatco filters.. I have 2 for my Spa 100sf filters I just have not made the purchase for the pool
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

9. Back To Top    #9

Anyone try the retrofit kit? Replaces the large & small filters with 3 smaller filters that claim to have to the same surface area. The pool guy on YouTube seems to really like them...and I think they are ~$30 cheaper too - supposedly has better filtration. I haven't verified prices yet.

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/ede...retro-kit.html

Here is the URL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcO7jTZ9pE

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

that video is made by a guy who knows what he is talking about and does hundreds of reviews... like it says he has over 12 million views

That looks like a great kit to change to and also that is how most of the new filters are being made mine included...

good find

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    that video is made by a guy who knows what he is talking about and does hundreds of reviews... like it says he has over 12 million views

That looks like a great kit to change to and also that is how most of the new filters are being made mine included...

good find
    I would agree - except now he is selling some stuff that he reviews on his site (- incl this I think). I've learned just about as much from that guy as I have on this site
    Something about folks that start selling products who used to simply do reviews makes me doubt their integrity. I think it comes from being burned a few too many times from being duped by digital/internet shills. I am not suggesting that he is now a shill, but now I will wonder if he is advocating a product for profit. I know, everyone needs to make a buck, but that is something I have a hard time reconciling.