Hayward Salt and Swim 3C

Mar 28, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Hello,

Fairly new to pool ownership but things have been going well I think over the past 6 months. We have an In-Ground pool (small at around 12K Gallons). Its got a SWG (Hayward Salt and Swim 3C) my issue is that even on the lowest setting It generates too much chlorine since we don't have much if any swimmer load since its still too cool. Is this a common issue? My other numbers seems to all be right where they should be but FC if left on the min setting climbs to around 6 or 7 at which point I turn it off and allow the levels to drop back down. It's kind of taking the whole automated chlorine away!

you can do 1 of 2 things

change how long your pump runs: if your running 8 hours go to running 6 hours

change how long your SWG runs: only turn your SWG for 4 of the 8 hours pump run time

I see this is your first post, Welcome :)

Thanks,

My pump is a two speed and runs on low 22 hours a day and kicks up to high for 2 hours per day to run the pool cleaner. PB said their pump doesn't use much power on low and sure enough my bill increase was really small so thats how it's been running the last 6 months.

I can turn off the pump using the switch but again its pretty manual. Sounds like I'm stuck just turning the SWG off and on every other day?

if your pump is automated "turns from low to high by itself" then you can do it no problem..

1. let us know what equipment you have at your equipment pad... when we know what you have it can be changed..

2. post a picture so we can see what you have..

you really do not need to be running your pump 24 hours a day, most of us run about 8 to 10 hours a day to chlorinate with a SWG and filter... this will save you even more money :)

Hi,

I'll see about getting a picture of the pad. I have a Century 3.5 HP Dual speed pump connected to an intermatic timer which switches it from low to high as mentioned. There is a manual switch mounted below the intermatic timer box which can turn the pump off and on completely for service and such. Otherwise pump is connected to a Hayward cartridge filter and the salt and swim 3C.

ahhh low tech, that is perfect... you just need to change the time your pump runs.. I take it you SWG is connected to the same intermatic controller..

when you turn the pump off does the SWG also turn off?

Can you get the model number of the intermatic timer?

so that is the reason they ran it 24 hours.. the good thing is you can change the run time.. at 1:05 on this video shows how to change your times.

The bad, you will need another intermatic timer connected to your SWG... when you say 110v outlet is it a 3 prong plug in? if so see below :) if not let me know..

this is what I would use Intermatic P1121 Heavy Duty Outdoor Timer 15 Amp/1 HP - Plug In Timer Switches - Amazon.com it is an outdoor rated 120v timer by intermatic that would allow you to plug in your SWG into it and set times to run..

with this type of setup you would run you pump 1 or 2 hours on high
EG: start at 0900 in the morning
start low speed at 1000
stop pump at 1600 (4pm) :) love my military time
start your SWG at 0930
stop your SWG at 1530 (3:30pm)

The way my pump is connected to the current Timer, there is no way to turn off the pump. The timer simply turns it from low to high and back again.

I can definitely use the timer you linked to plug my SWG into although I'm not sure if it will pick up where it "left off" settings wise with the loss of power and re-power cycle. Something I can test.

it will, they are designed to lose power and turn back on.. you can do a 5 minute test and unplug it and plug it back in, it should return to the same xact setting it was at..

if you do not mind the pump running 24 hours you can leave it just as it is and just turn your SWG off and on (try 6 hours at 50% and see what that does)..

if the little switchs are missing you can get new ones 2 ON and 2 OFF Metal Trippers: Intermatic Timer Parts: Amazon.com: Patio, Lawn Garden these have a high speed on and a low speed on and 2 off trippers.. you can save major amounts of run time and power saving if you installed these. :)

they are not really high and low speed trippers, they just turn one "side" (high) on then the other "side" (low) on then an off tripper

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
it will, they are designed to lose power and turn back on.. you can do a 5 minute test and unplug it and plug it back in, it should return to the same xact setting it was at..

if you do not mind the pump running 24 hours you can leave it just as it is and just turn your SWG off and on (try 6 hours at 50% and see what that does)..

if the little switchs are missing you can get new ones 2 ON and 2 OFF Metal Trippers: Intermatic Timer Parts: Amazon.com: Patio, Lawn Garden these have a high speed on and a low speed on and 2 off trippers.. you can save major amounts of run time and power saving if you installed these. :)

they are not really high and low speed trippers, they just turn one "side" (high) on then the other "side" (low) on then an off tripper

Wait, maybe I am not understanding you. My switch already has the trippers (Green on tripper and gold off tripper) When the switch is in off position, it's on low and when it's in "on" it's on high. Are you saying there is another tripper that turns the whole thing (both legs) off?

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_4242.JPG

Above is my switch.

that is correct, you just need an "off" tripper to turn it off :)

looks like 0630 high turns on
0900 low turns on

what I would do is buy those trippers and put an off tripper at 1400 (2pm) that would be 7.5 hour pump run time

then run your SWG from 0700 to 1300 (1PM)

see how your pool water looks and how much chlorine you have then adjust your times..

up on pool pump time if you think your pool is not clear enough
up on SWG % IE from 50% to 75% if you need more chlorine

if you need more chlorine and do not want to raise % then change pump and SWG run time

You can also use less pump and SWG run time that will save more, it all depends on the clarity of your pool

this will save your electricity bill very much :)

**************Ok, I just zoomed in to your picture, it looks like you already have an "off" tripper***********

is that correct? this has me confused... it should turn everything off, not just 1 leg of the power (high)

has anyone else seen this???

I am looking at that T10604R but I have never used one of those.. so I just dont have the knowledge on those.

I use the Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System, so i can check it from the remote..

someone will hopefully be along that can help with this :)

well that is why I was confused... :) knowing is half the battle, I thought that timer turned the pump on and off, not turn High to Low...

SO the timer for the SWG will work for you and your pump will stay the same...

I am not sure how you are on funds but I love my switch for my pump, high and low, SWG and lights :) you would need to get it rewired/installed but that should be pretty easy for an electrician..

Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System for Variable Speed and Two-Speed Pumps - Sump Pump Accessories - Amazon.com

Uykmlyah.jpg

f7b08yMh.jpg

3sLQKWJh.jpg

In order to have both on/off and two speed switching you would need to add an Intermatic T104 timer in with your existing Intermatic T106 timer. The T104 could be in a separate enclosure mounted next to your existing T106 - both timers after the manual on/off switch.

T106 - used for switching from high to low (existing)
T104 - used to turn pump on and off

Intermatic Timer 220 Volt Metal Enclosure - T104R3 - INYOPools.com

And wire it up as follows:
Mechanical Timing Controls For Two-Speed Pump Applications (Basic Wiring Information)

I ~think~ you can also wire up the 110 volt SWCG to one of the 110 volt legs of the T104 timer - which will turn the SWCG power on and off with the pump. It should work, although I will defer to others who are more familiar with the NEC and your local building codes to determine if it meets code.

Ha - neither did I until I needed advice on my daughter's pump replacement: Pool pump advice.

After having help from the experts here and a little Internet research, it became clearer.

:lovetfp:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.